ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?

<< < (5/8) > >>

f0dder:
Steve Gibson says defragmenting isn't necessary... that should be enough proof that it's good to defragment ;)

Creamy Goodness:
hmm you guys sure use a lot of programs, i'll have to check some of these out
myself, i only use Executive Software Diskeeper. It's the full version of the defrag that comes with windows xp, so you know it has to be good if microsoft licensed it. full versions aren't cheap but i love the "set it and forget it scheduling"
i tell it to run between 3 and 6 am, and enable smart scheduling. then it only runs on whichever drives it needs to and only at those times.

allen:
Back when I first started using dirms/buzzsaw, I was certain my computer ran better -- especially in long stretches.  I haven't not used it in so long, though, I don't actually have any perception of what the benchmark change might be.  Computers are so much better these days, the difference might be negligible . . . but I feel better knowing (or at least assuming) my computer is constantly being defragged as I work.

(You should see the queue of files to work through after I import/export a big mail base . . .)

db90h:
XP has some boot optimization and prefeteching that may have affected some of their benchmarks. Maybe not though, who knows.

Just because hardware is faster doesn't mean you shouldn't defragment. If you don't defragment your drive will eventually get to a state of severe fragmentation, and as they acknowledge, severe defragmentation does affect performance substantially (their 44% fragmented drive test).

Its a good idea to keep your page file and registry hives defragmented as well, something PerfectDisk's offline defragementation can do.

Nobody in their right mind will say defragmenting hurts performance. That says it all.

p.s. I'm a little teacup.

kfitting:
But, speed aside, what about harddisk thrashing?  It just doesn't seem like it's a good thing to make the harddrive heads slam around all the time.  Speed is a secondary concern to me... I care about the life of my harddrive!  Is this a valid reason to defragment?

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version