ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?

(1/8) > >>

masu:
does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs and their benefits for speed improvement?
is it worth to spend 30-40$ for a defragmentation program?

f0dder:
Yes, I do - but the market is a bit rotten. Some of the products look like they don't do much more than the built-in defrag, except look prettier.

I personally use Raxco PerfectDisk, which works pretty well, and has reordering as well as just defragmentation - infrequently modified data will be grouped together, making frequently modified data easier to defragment.

And defragmentation DOES help a lot - especially if you've used p2p downloaders that don't reserve space for your download. A linux ISO I downloaded was in more than thousand fragments, which would have resulted in a lot of buffer underruns if I hadn't defragged it before burning (sure, burnproof is nice, but lowers CD quality somewhat).

So yes, defragmentation tools are nice. Some of them.

Carol Haynes:
Ditto - same reasons I use PerfectDisc too. Yes it does make a difference - use CrapCleaner too before you defrag.

Black Mamba:
The difference is small when you have NTFS partitions and you don't use your PC as a server.  ;)

brotherS:
The difference is small when you have NTFS partitions and you don't use your PC as a server.  ;)
-Black Mamba (January 22, 2006, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not really...

I can only copy what f0dder and Carol said - and I'm using NTFS partitions and my PC is *not* a server :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version