ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Essay - Blogging: a great pastime for the elderly

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
I find the rise of twitter and the decline of blogging sad..  It seems like the amount of aggregate writing on the web is staying constant, we're just now getting a lot more one-line off-the-cuff throwaway comments, and less thoughtful considered commentary.

I remember when it was kind of cool to be a blogger. You'd walk around with a swagger in your step, a twinkle in your eye. Now it's just humiliating. Blogging has become like mahjong or needlepoint or clipping coupons out of Walgreens circulars: something old folks do while waiting to croak.

Did you see that new Pew study that came out yesterday? It put a big fat exclamation point on what a lot of us have come to realize recently: blogging is now the uncoolest thing you can do on the Internet.

--- End quote ---

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2010/02/blogging_a_grea.php

MilesAhead:
we're just now getting a lot more one-line off-the-cuff throwaway comments, and less thoughtful considered commentary.
--- End quote ---

I don't even have a Messenger type application installed for that reason.  I don't see the attraction of trying to type in some comment before what you are alluding to scrolls off.  It's like, everyone talk, nobody listen.

What we need are random semi-intelligent comment generators. Comments are appended after a quasi-random delay to make you think somebody is reading the stuff.

Kind of reminds me of those parties where everyone is totally hammered.  Each person in turn makes a comment only funny to them, that they laugh at, then on to the next person.  But they are all too smashed to realize nobody is absorbing the humor.

TucknDar:
Your post is far too long, mouser!  :P

jaden:
Twitter and Facebook updates are also much harder to keep up with than the occasional (even frequent) blog post.  I still don't get how people keep up with Twitter when they follow a few hundred people, or with the Facebook activity stream.  If I subscribe to a blog, I like to glance at every post.  There's no way to do that with Twitter (nor would I want to).

app103:
There are more people than ever blogging. Twitter is a means for spreading links to blog posts, whether they are your own or someone else's. Without blogs, most people would have nothing to tweet about that is worth reading. Who cares what you had for lunch? Unless you are going to write an interesting blog post about it and tweet the link, or supply a link to a recipe, don't bother.

Of course the link to photos posted elsewhere, of the unidentifiable mutant chicken part, is ok, too.  :D

I kind of look at twitter as being similar to an RSS reader, that gives you only the shortest summary (or title) & link to posts, sprinkled in with some comments. At least this is primarily the type of people I follow.

And if you take a look at DC's twitter page and compare it to the blog's feed, they are identical.  ;)

Twitter and Facebook updates are also much harder to keep up with than the occasional (even frequent) blog post.  I still don't get how people keep up with Twitter when they follow a few hundred people, or with the Facebook activity stream.  If I subscribe to a blog, I like to glance at every post.  There's no way to do that with Twitter (nor would I want to).
-jaden (February 06, 2010, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have everyone on lists. It makes it much easier to handle a lot of people. Not everyone posts the same kind of content, so sorting them makes it easier to stick your mind in one topic mode, scan over the latest posts for that list, then switch to another topic of interest and scan that list, repeat.

I also import the tweets of everyone I follow into a private group on friendfeed, to make it much more searchable when I am looking for something.

Most of the people I follow on Twitter, I also follow on either friendfeed, facebook, or both. Sometimes I miss something one place and it pops out at me somewhere else, even though it's the same exact post, just autofed to other services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version