topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Tagging Files (Tag Everything)  (Read 28995 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tagging Files (Tag Everything)
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I have started using NDN as my secondary file commander(with dos interface), it has great descript.ion support editing and viewing.  I love XYPlorer but I hate the fact that I can not use anything else to see my notes and tags, also it does not save them automatically so it is prone to loosing them in case of a crash which happened to me in the past.  Also the other problem with contained database files is that it makes it very hard share thsoe files across VPNS,and networks which makes it hard to use it in a team environment, plus extra licencing fees just to see the tags.

Anyways XYplorer is a great application by and within itself just that it does not support more accepted file description formats. Thus NDN is a good free choice and works on all platforms if you choose .ion format

http://ndn.muxe.com/

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 05:56 AM »
I have started using NDN as my secondary file commander(with dos interface), it has great descript.ion support editing and viewing.  I love XYPlorer but I hate the fact that I can not use anything else to see my notes and tags, also it does not save them automatically so it is prone to loosing them in case of a crash which happened to me in the past.  Also the other problem with contained database files is that it makes it very hard share thsoe files across VPNS,and networks which makes it hard to use it in a team environment, plus extra licencing fees just to see the tags.

Anyways XYplorer is a great application by and within itself just that it does not support more accepted file description formats. Thus NDN is a good free choice and works on all platforms if you choose .ion format

http://ndn.muxe.com/
Funny that you post this now because today XYplorer (BETA) got a new Tag search algorithm that boosts the search speed to that known only of indexed searches. You can search the whole computer for certain Tags or Comments and get results almost instantaneously.

Can you do that with descript.ion? ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05 AM »
DonL,

You know XYplorer is a great tool, no competition there. I was not even disputing its greatness. The tag and commenting stuff in XYp is also great  within itself, but it is useless outside of XYplorer. That is my original dispute. You can put all the greatness within but it would be useless to non XYp users and network users. And obviously expecting everyone to use it is unreal. Here is another problem I have already mentioned. I work in a team environment like many other people(some are over VPN). And there is no way to really share all those tags, comments with others. First I need to force everyone to use XYplorer then we need to figure a way to share those local databases. I think that this is an important issue and this is where .ion files stupidly simple and primitive functionality goes over the database kind of stuff.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14 PM »
... I think that this is an important issue and this is where .ion files stupidly simple and primitive functionality goes over the database kind of stuff.
Yes, I have to agree. Do you happen to have a description of the ION file format? (I briefly searched but did not find anything useful.) I want to try whether I can export XY's tag data to ION files.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 01:24 PM »
sorry I do not know the details. But it is basically a simple text file with files names with descriptions. Try NDN link I gave it creates them nicely, although I do not know if there are different implementations or not.