topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: fSecrit 1.2 "eat all inside self"  (Read 10348 times)

boniphacy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fSecrit 1.2 "eat all inside self"
« on: February 04, 2010, 01:28 AM »
Hi everybody! (sorry for my language, is very bad)
Maybe this question is irrelevant, but I need your quickly help. I use this program for save many passwords for many web services... This file have over 300 lines of text.
After last saving this file I sync work folders to flash card and when I try to open this later, fSecrit is open as a first launch programm without some stuff inside (not as file with password requestion).

I know, all my data is erased (file size decrease from 60 to 50Kb ) and I can't restore it. I want to thank you for this program that I use 2 years without a some problems. But now I need to restore passwords with e-mail reminders there, where it is possible and choose new soft for passwords storage.

If you have some ideas how to restore this stuff, please send your message to [email protected]
Thanks!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: fSecrit 1.2 "eat all inside self"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:03 AM »
First, let me say I'm sorry to hear you've lost data - this is never a fun thing. I can't overstate the value of backups!

fSekrit 1.2 is a pretty old version, and embarrassingly enough, 100%-safe saves wasn't implemented until the latest version, 1.4. Under normal situations, earlier versions shouldn't experience data-loss, unfortunately real-life has abnormal situations :(. All versions previous to 1.4 saves directly to your executable, which means a crash, network failure, pesky antivirus application, (...) can cause the save to fail, and our old data being overwritten. Newer versions save to a temporary file first, and only overwrite the original once the temporary file is fully saved.

If you haven't modified any files on the flash card since the failed save, there's a possibility you might be able to restore the truncated data - it's a bit of a far shot, but it might be possible... it would probably require a raw dump of the flash card and some custom search-for-container code. How big is the flash card, and how sensitive is any non-encrypted data on it?

I'll continue this in e-mail, but posting here to show that an issue like this is indeed taken serious.
- carpe noctem

boniphacy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Hello. I use 16Gb flash-card to synchronize data between work and home computer. When I save file to flash-card from work PC, I didn't know that his size was decreased. I mean that something wrong will be with this file before all my synchronize operations. Some times (one or two during all time of use
) program told me about strong error in the message with red label when I try to save changes. And after the program worked correctly again.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Oh, so the password file has been corrupted for some time, and then other files have been written to the flash-card? Then it probably won't be possible to recover information :/
- carpe noctem