topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BUG - Temporary fSekrit-xxxx.exe not being deleted  (Read 8574 times)

umbra

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BUG - Temporary fSekrit-xxxx.exe not being deleted
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Hello everyone,

After searching for a bit on the forum I did not find this bug mentioned anywhere. My apologies if it has already been reported.

Every time fSekrit.exe (v1.40) is executed and the file is protected by a password, a temporary 'fSekrit-xxxx.exe' file is created, where 'xxxx' is (as far as I can tell) a random hexadecimal number. For example in the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit edition where I tested it, that temporary file is created here:

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp\fSekrit-xxxx.exe

This temporary file is removed when you close the program. So far, so good.

However, on execution, if instead of entering the password at the 'Please enter passphrase' screen you decide not to continue and click the 'Cancel' button or simple close the dialog on the 'X', that temporary file is not deleted. This also occurs if you are using the nifty trick of having an empty file named 'fSekrit.portable' in the same directory as the 'fSekrit.exe' executable. Since the temporary file has a random name, a new random file will be added every time you cancel, to the ones already there. If you want to get rid of them you have to delete them yourself.

Now, I must point out that as far as I can tell this does not pose a security threat as the temporary files do not contain any data. I believe that one could even create a batch file that automatically searches and deletes these files automatically before executing fSekrit. I am just pointing the bug out in case the programmer decides to clean it in a future release.

fSekrit version 1.40
Bug tested and detected on:
 - Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
 - Windows Server 2003 SBS SP2, 32 bit
 - Windows XP Professional SP3, 32 bit

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: BUG - Temporary fSekrit-xxxx.exe not being deleted
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the bug report, umbra.

It's a known issue, and will be fixed in the next release; I already identified the cause, so fixing should be pretty fast. It will probably take a bit of time before next version is released, since I'm doing some general source code cleanup and restructure in preparation of open-source the program. I could do an out-of-band bugfix and post here, though, if you're annoyed with the temp files.

Oh, and you're right about the temp exe not containing any data - it's merely used as an "editor" executable; Windows won't let programs write to .exe files that are currently running, so this tempfile roundabout is, unfortunately, necessary.

- carpe noctem