ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!

<< < (10/10)

sgtevmckay:
I was over ruled in this  :huh:

Markham:
Let me address some of the points made above.

The reason the "Portable App creator" is in Circle Dock is because some users were experiencing problems when they wanted to take a pre-configured dock and copy to a USB memory stick; the most common of which was missing configuration files.

When Circle Dock is run for the very first time, it does a check to see if its installation folder is protected by Windows UAC (regardless of the UAC setting). If it is, it places its configuration files in the current user's "AppData\Local\CircleDock" folder. This stops Windows displaying its UAC dialogs each time a change to the dock is recorded. If, however, Circle Dock is installed in a folder not protected by UAC (basically not the System drive), then its configuration files are stored it its System sub-directory.

A somewhat simplified version of the above is documented in the program's help system.

As for the next release, the Sarge is quite right in saying that it is undergoing test and, in fact, a replacement executable was supplied to the testers yesterday with the request that they check the "Portable App creator" thoroughly.

Like all developers, I am human, I am fallible and although I try to produce code that works right 100% of the time, that is often an impossible goal. And I can tell you this, all the developers reading this and its allied thread will be thinking, "there but for the grace of God go I".

"theGipper", the unfortunate user most badly affected by my mistake, questions his decision to use "open source" software. I can understand your thoughts and feelings but I'd ask you to consider this: does paying for software necessarily mean you will get a product that works correctly 100% of the time? The answer is, unfortunately, "no". Does paying for software mean that whenever bugs are discovered, the developers fix them immediately and rush to produce an update? Again, "no" - in fact some companies will charge you for an update that is supposed to fix the bugs in the version you bought! Some of the best quality software is free and developed by people who have a love for their product and pride in their work - something you won't find in the "coding farms" within the big software companies. You've had a bad experience and one that I can only apologize for but please don't let that experience put you off either Circle Dock or free software generally.

Mark

Archon of Fate:
well said. no program is fullproof even commercial software, however the efforts that all of you are showing is that you care about the people who use this software and that is very admireable.  :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay:
Well said Archon of Fate  :Thmbsup:

I think there has been enough flaming Sauce flung here, and Hind site is almost always 20x20.

As I am tired of The "I" and "You should have" would'a should's could'a...done so and so and so.....
The lesson has been learned and duly noted!
I find that we have moved away from constructive criticism, and moved onto something that feels inappropriate.

TheGipper:
As you have questions, you are welcome to start another post or PM me directly for assistance.

This post is now locked.

sgtevmckay:
Final Note!!!

This issue has a resolution that is available in version 1.5
Please update your current install with the latest version

Download the latest version here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20623.0

Regards
The sarge

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page