ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!

<< < (4/10) > >>

Archon of Fate:
Glad I could help. As for what happened I wonldn't beat yourself up over it, all great programs have bugs and all that can be done about it is fix the problem. This is a great program and it will contunue to be great.

sgtevmckay:
I know it  :-[

Just one more speed bump on my way to a dream

f0dder:
i can use recuva, butthen i dont want to copy te recovred data backto the drive since then it's too late to try another one to seeif it could do better.-thegipper (February 03, 2010, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Never, never EVER restore to the same partition! Always restore elsewhere, if you want to have a decent chance of getting your data back. I know this can be a major problem, but it's the only way to get reliable recoveries. Heck, I'll go as far as saying you should image the "bad" partition, so you don't get any more changes to it (and the you can of course restore from the image to the "bad" partition).

So if you point this application, with both options checked to a drive letter (say: I:/) It will promptly go ahead and wipe the entire drive of all data!-sgtevmckay (February 03, 2010, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not having any confirmations before deleting files is bad :'( :'( :'( - why does the app even have such a feature in the first place? :huh:

sgtevmckay:
Not having any confirmations before deleting files is bad :'( :'( :'( - why does the app even have such a feature in the first place? :huh:
-f0dder (February 03, 2010, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am awaiting to hear from Markham on this issue.
I can not say that this is even the intended effect.
If it is the intended effect then this was most likely simply over looked.
Or it could been something missed that was left behind by VIP.....
Who knows exactly.
Trust me when I tell you that the enormity and complexity of Circle Dock has expanded several fold, and to say an item or two got over looked....well this might just be an understatement.

Worrying about how's and why's and to whom to point a finger is pointless now!
The need now is to fix the issue.
So if you have a suggestions, then I am most certainly listening.
As I told The warden at the county jail; "Don't tel me what my problems are when I know what they are! Give me solutions."
Being constructive in order to correct the issue is the support required here

All I can say is I know where the problem stems from and how to avoid it...I have already made suggestions to correct it.
I have done what I can...warned as I am best able, now that I know there is an issue.
Now we wait

Damn it...time for another cigarette and another cup of hot tea  :-[  :mad:

Markham:
It's midday here in Cebu and due to an internet outtage I've only just read this thread.

Firstly let me apologise most abjectly to "the gipper" for what is an unintended programming side-effect (read "bug"). I had, in fact, discovered this problem very late last night after I wiped the contents of a 1 TiB drive, so I know exactly how you're feeling.

Coincidentally, my internet provider decided to carry-out some maintenance and my connection was out when I discovered the bug and has only just returned, otherwise I would have posted a warning. I see that the Sarge has already done so, thanks!

I will replace the mouse-over tool-tip -- which does warn you that the target will be cleared of files -- with a much clearer dialog thus requiring a further mouse-click in order to proceed, or not - and perhaps display a second confirmatory dialog if the target is a root folder. I quite deliberately do not test if the target drive is removable - for example, a ZIP drive or USB stick - as I felt - and feel - that would be too restrictive. I run portable applications from hard drives as do many, many other users.

Again I am sorry for letting this one out and that it affected you so devastatingly. I hope that you are able to recover at least your essential files.

Good luck!

Mark.
(Who's sitting in the corner wearing the naughty hat)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version