topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!  (Read 25659 times)

thegipper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:56 PM »
OK, I know this sounds crazy, but I installed circled dock today, I dl it about early afternoon Feb 3. I dont know what version (otherthan 1.xx) because I wont open it again.

I opened up preferences and chose the "make portable" and also chose the other option there. I figured it would put a portable version on my drive. I chose drive I, the one with all my programs and data.

CD kind of froze a bit, but my disk was going like nuts, I figured it was indexing exe files to create shortcuts for

Well, after 10 minutes, I couldnt take the wait, I figured it was stuck in a loop, and I closed it.

Well, I no longer had privoxy, no longer had maxthon, no longer had thunderbird,

ALL MY PROGRAMS WERE DELETED! Some remnants remained, probably because I canceled the opertion

guys-- what the HECK is this? why do you have this thing moving and/or deleting whole directories!

I tried to see where stuff had been moved ( if it had been movedat all) and couldnt find it

HELP! here is my stuff! circle dock is directly responsiblefor this. Now myfiles emails receipts, everything is gone

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Very unlikely that CD is directly, or even indirectly responsible for this, please check your system for any viruses as installing anything may of activated it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Hi thegipper,

try to stay calm and make sure you don't do anything on the computer that could make the situation worse:
don't empty recycle bin
avoid doing stuff that would create new files on the disk or write onto the disk, as that could overwrite space where the deleted files are and can be recovered from.

the authors of circle dock will see this soon and be in touch with you.

i didn't write the make-portable function, but your description certainly sounds like it might be to blame.. i worry that maybe that the make-portable function might not have the safeguards it should have and could have led to this.. but i have no idea.  let's wait and see what they say.

hang in there. you won't be ignored.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:19 PM by mouser »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Greetings thegipper

Oof.....I am unaware that Cd could do such a thing.

I will have Markham look into this A.S.A.P.

As I am writing this I am also working up an emergency e-mail.

There are a few things I need to know:
What is your Operating system and version?
Did you cover the information in the Help file?
Can you see your hard drive, and/or access the hard drive in question?

And any other details you can give us would be greatly appreciate.
A step by step of the procedure you utilized; If there is further details than you have already documented(???)

As Mouser has suggested, do nothing at this time, until you hear from Markham, or myself again, and one of us may possibly be able determine happened.

Take a breath friend...many of us have been where you are, and we will make every attempt to help

The Sarge

thegipper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Stephen66515 :

It's very unlikely it is NOT responsible for this. Thisis a relatively clean new build, I have an engineering degree and have been using computers since the beginning, and building them for family. I know how viruses work, and have the full protection.   The program started thrashing the disk as soon as  I chose the optionsI indicate, and hit ok. It's clearly programmed, whatever this portable routine is.

Im running xp x86 sp3
The drive is totaly fine, there's no "not seeing" etc., the program just went through like a buzz saw and took out whole directories as it was doing this portable thing.  Deleted probably a couple of hundred directories, some had pieces left as I interrupted it before it finished.

My 1st instinct was to seewhere all this had been copied, hopefully, but on C and also on I: there was no trace. No large temp file, nothing.I though it had just related the files. But to where?

Unbelievable.CD was instaleld on C. I dont see my files there. On I, they were deleted,with bits left. Luckiy, some directories, few dozen, remained totally intact, as the process had not finished.Luck wouldhave it that my emails, receipts, scans, attachments, programs, etc were in the places that got ripped.

Anyway,very unhappy, trying to use a data recovery programhere and it's able to recover chunks, butnot all. My whole day has been spent on this, in between rubbing my eyes and pacing back and forth while the data recovery picks up my deleted files...

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Thanks for the additional information.
Every little bit helps.

I am running some simulations now to see if I can replicate what happened.
We are also awaiting Markham to get his thoughts (Though he may be asleep at this time).

I know your anguish friend....Know that you are not alone

What recovery software program are you using?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07 PM »
My whole day has been spent on this, in between rubbing my eyes and pacing back and forth while the data recovery picks up my deleted files...

i've been there my friend, you only left out: heart racing, feeling like you were going to cry/die, screaming at top of your lungs.
hang in there, we're here to help.  sometimes the only thing that comforts me is thinking how much worse things could have been.. small comfort i know.

thegipper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:12 PM »
thanks, mouse and sarge

Sarge, i'mtrying recuva and active file recovery 7.5 trial.

i know that i can use the drive at all, so i'm dead in the water until the recovery is successful.

i can use recuva, butthen i dont want to copy te recovred data backto the drive since then it's too late to try another one to seeif it could do better.

by the way, this is mostly data. i use portable thunderbird with about a 5 gig message store, and it's evicerated.  so much of my problem is data. I could easily restore programs, that's easy, but the data-- ut has to be recovered 100%, otherwiseit wont open up in the respective programs
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:15 PM by thegipper »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 05:18 PM »
yeah the most important thing is not to put any new data onto that drive where files were deleted, as that's the fastest way to make the lost data unrecoverable.
GetDataBack is the program i've seen recommended most often on DC for recovery.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21 PM »
yeah the most important thing is not to put any new data onto that drive where files were deleted, as that's the fastest way to make the lost data unrecoverable.
GetDataBack is the program i've seen recommended most often on DC for recovery.

I'd be willing to make a donation towards a decent recovery programme (for thegipper) if it could help...

[edit] done [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:33 PM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:30 PM »
same here.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34 PM »
I had a similar crash not too long ago.

I used Easeus Data Recovery pro under a Trial license, and it worked like a champ...albeit it took for ever to read a 750G hard drive, but I recovered more than 98% of my programs and data.

i am unaware of they are still doing a fully working trial basis (trying to get that information now), but here is the link to their site.
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

Since you are in the middle of recovery now...what ever you do not stop it...let the process finish!

I'd be willing to make a donation towards a decent recovery programme (for thegipper) if it could help...

I am right there with you

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
You are not going to like this!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I have found been able to replicate the issue.
I will tell you I am feeling ill  :-[

Apparently if you go to the Settings > Portable Applications, and select both options, and select a drive letter and not a folder.
The very first process is to wipe all contents.
So if you point this application, with both options checked to a drive letter (say: I:/) It will promptly go ahead and wipe the entire drive of all data!

No check, no "are you sure" warning...it just follows through

Run either one option individually, and there does not appear to be an issue.
Send it to a folder of choice, and there is no apparent issue; though with both selected it will wipe that folder, and only that folder

I also ran basic recovery to my test drive, and it returns that nothing was found...I am doing a more intensive recovery now, but the result will be hours away.

At this time the most I can do is offer my sincerest apologies

I am so Sorry

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:06 PM »
i might have a little new information on this problem, not that long ago i made the protable app on my desktop and it wiped my desktop clean. While the effects were not as devastating to what happened to thegipper it might show that sending to a folder of choice might wipe that folder of data. i'm not sure if this helps but I thought I would add this in if you needed more info. If didn't help well better safe than sorry.  :-[

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 08:18 PM »
You are exactly right and this matches my findings.

any folder you direct to, and have both options clicked, that will will be wiped clean in favor of Circle Dock Zip.

Create a new folder, name it whatever, and then direct the portable creation to that new folder.
This is the best option

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Glad I could help. As for what happened I wonldn't beat yourself up over it, all great programs have bugs and all that can be done about it is fix the problem. This is a great program and it will contunue to be great.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I know it  :-[

Just one more speed bump on my way to a dream

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28 PM »
i can use recuva, butthen i dont want to copy te recovred data backto the drive since then it's too late to try another one to seeif it could do better.
Never, never EVER restore to the same partition! Always restore elsewhere, if you want to have a decent chance of getting your data back. I know this can be a major problem, but it's the only way to get reliable recoveries. Heck, I'll go as far as saying you should image the "bad" partition, so you don't get any more changes to it (and the you can of course restore from the image to the "bad" partition).

So if you point this application, with both options checked to a drive letter (say: I:/) It will promptly go ahead and wipe the entire drive of all data!
Not having any confirmations before deleting files is bad :'( :'( :'( - why does the app even have such a feature in the first place? :huh:
- carpe noctem

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Not having any confirmations before deleting files is bad :'( :'( :'( - why does the app even have such a feature in the first place? :huh:

I am awaiting to hear from Markham on this issue.
I can not say that this is even the intended effect.
If it is the intended effect then this was most likely simply over looked.
Or it could been something missed that was left behind by VIP.....
Who knows exactly.
Trust me when I tell you that the enormity and complexity of Circle Dock has expanded several fold, and to say an item or two got over looked....well this might just be an understatement.

Worrying about how's and why's and to whom to point a finger is pointless now!
The need now is to fix the issue.
So if you have a suggestions, then I am most certainly listening.
As I told The warden at the county jail; "Don't tel me what my problems are when I know what they are! Give me solutions."
Being constructive in order to correct the issue is the support required here

All I can say is I know where the problem stems from and how to avoid it...I have already made suggestions to correct it.
I have done what I can...warned as I am best able, now that I know there is an issue.
Now we wait

Damn it...time for another cigarette and another cup of hot tea  :-[  :mad:

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36 PM »
It's midday here in Cebu and due to an internet outtage I've only just read this thread.

Firstly let me apologise most abjectly to "the gipper" for what is an unintended programming side-effect (read "bug"). I had, in fact, discovered this problem very late last night after I wiped the contents of a 1 TiB drive, so I know exactly how you're feeling.

Coincidentally, my internet provider decided to carry-out some maintenance and my connection was out when I discovered the bug and has only just returned, otherwise I would have posted a warning. I see that the Sarge has already done so, thanks!

I will replace the mouse-over tool-tip -- which does warn you that the target will be cleared of files -- with a much clearer dialog thus requiring a further mouse-click in order to proceed, or not - and perhaps display a second confirmatory dialog if the target is a root folder. I quite deliberately do not test if the target drive is removable - for example, a ZIP drive or USB stick - as I felt - and feel - that would be too restrictive. I run portable applications from hard drives as do many, many other users.

Again I am sorry for letting this one out and that it affected you so devastatingly. I hope that you are able to recover at least your essential files.

Good luck!

Mark.
(Who's sitting in the corner wearing the naughty hat)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Or it could been something missed that was left behind by VIP.....
VIP did leave some very serious bugs but I have to take full credit for this one.

Mark

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15 AM »
thegipper, if you're not having any luck with the recovery software you've tried, I can highly recommend FileScavenger found here: http://www.quetek.com/products.htm  It was able to recover a drive for me when all the other apps I tried couldn't even read the disk.  I can definitely count it as some of the best $50 I've ever spent.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 03:06 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your data loss gipper, that's awful. I'd be happy to contribute some toward data recovery software as well, if it helps.

- Oshyan

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 06:33 AM »
This issue has now been fixed as from v1.5.

Mark

thegipper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Well, I'm not going to say I'm recovered, but what are you going todo. I'm still shellshocked, but it appears that the program recovered lot of what was deleted, except for the 5gig of email, but Ihad a backup on my laptop, but not that recent.

To those who had nothing to do with this, and who extended their thought and donation, I thankyou for your quick participation.

To the programmer, the only way to learn is to make mistakes, but it migt be wise in the future to "measure twice and cut once" when it comes to file operations on the user's computer.  Leason learned. And for me too-- except I dont know what my lesson is: dont trust open source software?

thanks again for the people trying to help. it was timely, the help, to be sure.