ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

circledock DELETED ALL MY FILES! help!

(1/10) > >>

thegipper:
OK, I know this sounds crazy, but I installed circled dock today, I dl it about early afternoon Feb 3. I dont know what version (otherthan 1.xx) because I wont open it again.

I opened up preferences and chose the "make portable" and also chose the other option there. I figured it would put a portable version on my drive. I chose drive I, the one with all my programs and data.

CD kind of froze a bit, but my disk was going like nuts, I figured it was indexing exe files to create shortcuts for

Well, after 10 minutes, I couldnt take the wait, I figured it was stuck in a loop, and I closed it.

Well, I no longer had privoxy, no longer had maxthon, no longer had thunderbird,

ALL MY PROGRAMS WERE DELETED! Some remnants remained, probably because I canceled the opertion

guys-- what the HECK is this? why do you have this thing moving and/or deleting whole directories!

I tried to see where stuff had been moved ( if it had been movedat all) and couldnt find it

HELP! here is my stuff! circle dock is directly responsiblefor this. Now myfiles emails receipts, everything is gone

KynloStephen66515:
Very unlikely that CD is directly, or even indirectly responsible for this, please check your system for any viruses as installing anything may of activated it.

mouser:
Hi thegipper,

try to stay calm and make sure you don't do anything on the computer that could make the situation worse:
don't empty recycle bin
avoid doing stuff that would create new files on the disk or write onto the disk, as that could overwrite space where the deleted files are and can be recovered from.

the authors of circle dock will see this soon and be in touch with you.

i didn't write the make-portable function, but your description certainly sounds like it might be to blame.. i worry that maybe that the make-portable function might not have the safeguards it should have and could have led to this.. but i have no idea.  let's wait and see what they say.

hang in there. you won't be ignored.

sgtevmckay:
Greetings thegipper

Oof.....I am unaware that Cd could do such a thing.

I will have Markham look into this A.S.A.P.

As I am writing this I am also working up an emergency e-mail.

There are a few things I need to know:
What is your Operating system and version?
Did you cover the information in the Help file?
Can you see your hard drive, and/or access the hard drive in question?

And any other details you can give us would be greatly appreciate.
A step by step of the procedure you utilized; If there is further details than you have already documented(???)

As Mouser has suggested, do nothing at this time, until you hear from Markham, or myself again, and one of us may possibly be able determine happened.

Take a breath friend...many of us have been where you are, and we will make every attempt to help

The Sarge

thegipper:
Stephen66515 :

It's very unlikely it is NOT responsible for this. Thisis a relatively clean new build, I have an engineering degree and have been using computers since the beginning, and building them for family. I know how viruses work, and have the full protection.   The program started thrashing the disk as soon as  I chose the optionsI indicate, and hit ok. It's clearly programmed, whatever this portable routine is.

Im running xp x86 sp3
The drive is totaly fine, there's no "not seeing" etc., the program just went through like a buzz saw and took out whole directories as it was doing this portable thing.  Deleted probably a couple of hundred directories, some had pieces left as I interrupted it before it finished.

My 1st instinct was to seewhere all this had been copied, hopefully, but on C and also on I: there was no trace. No large temp file, nothing.I though it had just related the files. But to where?

Unbelievable.CD was instaleld on C. I dont see my files there. On I, they were deleted,with bits left. Luckiy, some directories, few dozen, remained totally intact, as the process had not finished.Luck wouldhave it that my emails, receipts, scans, attachments, programs, etc were in the places that got ripped.

Anyway,very unhappy, trying to use a data recovery programhere and it's able to recover chunks, butnot all. My whole day has been spent on this, in between rubbing my eyes and pacing back and forth while the data recovery picks up my deleted files...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version