Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 07:39:05 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: forced coffee/tea/cigarette break reminder  (Read 20657 times)
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:45:29 PM »

i once had a program that would remind you at set intervals to take a break from the computer - you know, for health reasons.

of course - i uninstalled it and continued to spend hours sat staring at my monitor all day instead. yep, i'm probably going to get deep vain thrombosis as a result of using my computer - great.

how about a little program that you set to blank the screen every couple of hours or less - maybe it bring ups a message (visual and audio) telling you in a polite way that it's time to go and make a drink or whatever, thereby forcing you to take a break.

yeah, i know you'd ignore it and just carry on working - the crucial part is the screen would remain blank for 5 minutes (with more messages or whatever displayed) and you would have no way of overriding it - any attempt to do so would hibernate the computer.

(i know, i know, i'd uninstall it and never use it - let me just dream for a while that i would do the right thing and obey it.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 03:52:53 AM by mouser » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 03:07:56 PM »

this is a good idea but i think there are a LOT of apps to do this already.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »

yes, sorry. i didn't really look for anything before posting - i'll have a look later.
Steph
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:28:24 PM »

one of them which is open-source : http://www.workrave.org/
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 07:42:47 AM »

downloaded and installed 'workrave'.  thumbs up

looks like exactly the right kind of app for the job. nicely done all around.

(my problem is the lack of discipline to actually obey the break reminders though - i really do need something that can't be overridden.)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:57:14 AM »

workrave is open source, it would probably be a snackable request to modify workrave to not allow you to override it smiley
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »

well, i'll certainly be grateful if anyone decides to modify it to prevent the breaks from being overridden.

if no one thinks it's worthwhile i'll understand - it would be better if i could make myself more disciplined instead (maybe i should learn to write code - it would be easier).
skrommel
Fastest code in the west
Developer

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 07:53:54 PM »

TakeABreak - Locks the computer in user defined intervals

Features:
- Change the work and pause time.
- Careful! In pause mode the only way out is to restart the computer!

You'll find the downloads and more info at Skrommel Software.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:05:36 PM by skrommel » Logged

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 03:38:54 AM »

thank you very much skrommel.

i had forgotten about making this request but i shall definately try out your script.

skrommel to the rescue once again.
tempdonationcoder
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »

TakeABreak is great however it can be heavy on the CPU - it causes explorer.exe run heavy Sad

edit:
Also adding dimming of the screen (like in ghoster) would be a cool feature
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:57:31 AM by tempdonationcoder » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »

hi tempdonationcoder smiley
have you seen app103's Instant Boss ?
http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=4602.0
http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=4430.0
it's got a different slant but certainly well worth a look

havent seen this one before must try it out, thanks!

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.04 ]