ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Pointer" Directories in Windows

<< < (3/5) > >>

lanux128:
the post here by justice seems to indicate that it is possible to do that with Dropbox.

• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12629.msg121937#msg121937

Deozaan:
the post here by justice seems to indicate that it is possible to do that with Dropbox.

• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12629.msg121937#msg121937
-lanux128 (February 03, 2010, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the extension I used to create the junction.

I wonder if it's a Windows 7 or 64-bit issue...

Eóin:
Btw, be VERY careful when dealing with junctions in standard Explorer - deleting a junction won't just delete the junction, but also the folder it points to!-f0dder (February 02, 2010, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that true for sure. I use junctions quite a bit created through Link Shell Extension and deleting them (i.e. NOT using the added 'Delete junction' menu entry) never deleted the source folder. However not having used them without the extension installed perhaps that behaviour differs.

f0dder:
Eóin: might be LSE that intercepts the delete, or perhaps Explorer has gotten a bit smarter with Vista and onwards... but it definitely used to be a problem :)

wraith808:
I just tested out using Junctions to point "My Dropbox\Games\Diablo II\save" to "Games\Diablo II\save" and it appears to be working properly as far as the fact that it's the same folder and same files, unfortunately it doesn't work at all with regard to Dropbox recognizing the files are changing and synchronizing to the cloud or to other computers.

Has anyone else successfully gotten something like this to work with Dropbox?
-Deozaan (February 03, 2010, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know that when I use LSE to create junctions, sometimes I have to press refresh in order for the folder contents to refresh if I've gone through the junction.  Maybe you can do it in reverse.  Create the actual directory as your dropbox directory, then create a junction for diablo 2 to point to it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version