topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Itching to put together your own pc from parts, but need help choosing parts?  (Read 7826 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Tom's Hardware is one of the most respected computer hardware review sites on the web.

They've started a new regular series called "BestConfigs" where they regularly challenge some of their more serious people to put together and optimize a few machines at different price points, and then they analyze the hell out of them, overclock them, and sum up the performance.

So if you've been itching to try putting together a new PC, I think you'd do well to keep an eye on this series, and when you find a pc setup that tests particularly well and fits your budget, well then you have a parts list and you can give it a try.

Welcome to a new feature we call BestConfigs, where you can find recommended parts for office PCs, gaming rigs, a workstation, or a home theater setup. If you're so inclined, feel free to chip in with suggestions for next month's recommendations, too!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, thanks mouser. This will be a great help since I'm wanting to replace my mom's 10-year old Windows computer on the side without spending enough money to be painful.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've used Tom's Hardware as a reference before, mostly to compare GPU benchmarks. This particular series looks very interesting indeed! Thanks for pointing it out, mouser.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like a cool series given it's not just random recommendations but actual tested configs. Pretty cool.

Zaine, might I ask why you're intending to build her a machine instead of just getting one off-the-shelf with support? At the lower price points, it's usually very hard to compete with a large OEM like Dell if you include the cost of the OS and all components. Not to mention support. I used to really dislike Dell, but they've actually been pretty solid more recently, and of course they're not the only option. You might not save much, if any, by going the home-build route, and then you have to provide all support. :D

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i agree with what JJ is saying.. it's very hard to argue for any financial savings in building your own pc, and the support problems and the defective part problems are completely yours alone when you build it yourself.

and with so many choices in the configuration websites of the big builders, you can really customize the pcs you have built by dell, gateway, compaq, etc.

i think the real reason to build your own pc is the same reason you might build your own furniture, the enjoyment of creating it yourself.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think the real reason to build your own pc is the same reason you might build your own furniture, the enjoyment of creating it yourself.

No question!

FineWork.jpgItching to put together your own pc from parts, but need help choosing parts?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, there are other compelling reasons to build your own too, e.g. specific configs. Dell *definitely* doesn't offer every part I'd want - not by a long shot - and the places that do are very high priced by comparison. You can also save money if you have parts lying around, like I do, and have certain kinds of systems to build. For example were I in Zaine's position I would buy a new CPU, motherboard, memory, case, and power supply and either a motheboard with graphics onboard, or a cheap graphics card. Then I'd supply hard drive, CD/DVD-ROM, keyboard, monitor, etc. from spares I have around. I've got about 15 spare hard drives >120GB around, and that should be more than enough for your average mom cmputer. But most people don't have that kind of hardware sitting in their closet. ;) So generally I agree, for the majority of people the custom-build can do more harm than good.

- Oshyan

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Given the relatively low cost of hardware combined with what you can scrounge, you should be able to put together a cheap PC for $100-120 - especially one suitable for older non-geek family members :)

eg.

New motherboard/CPU combo US$57.99

Pretty much everything else I could scrounge from parts around the garage/house, (eg. case, RAM, kb, mouse, PSU and monitor), add in an easy Linux based distro and it's job done.

An AIO motherboard is perfect for this kind of job - hell, my wife's been happily using a Socket-A, Athlon 1600+, 512MB, 80GB, AIO based motherboard for the last 4-5 years.  She doesn't want me to upgrade it because it runs so well.........but I did manage to sneak a Sempron 2400+ into it and add another 512MB of RAM :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maximum PC has a series on this as well:

http://www.maximumpc...gs/price+parts+guide

Screenshot - 2_7_2010 , 3_00_36 PM_thumb.png

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On this subject, I like to use websites like:

http://createcustompc.com/

The reason I use websites like this, is because it gives you a very good idea of what goes with what, and once you have 'built' a machine on these websites, you can then set yourself the challenge of finding the parts for cheaper, and finding out if it is more cost effective to actually purchase each item separately and put them together yourself!

Quite a fun game even if your not looking to actually build a machine, and keeps you up to date with all the latest hardware at the same time  :Thmbsup: