ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Itching to put together your own pc from parts, but need help choosing parts?

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Tom's Hardware is one of the most respected computer hardware review sites on the web.

They've started a new regular series called "BestConfigs" where they regularly challenge some of their more serious people to put together and optimize a few machines at different price points, and then they analyze the hell out of them, overclock them, and sum up the performance.

So if you've been itching to try putting together a new PC, I think you'd do well to keep an eye on this series, and when you find a pc setup that tests particularly well and fits your budget, well then you have a parts list and you can give it a try.

Welcome to a new feature we call BestConfigs, where you can find recommended parts for office PCs, gaming rigs, a workstation, or a home theater setup. If you're so inclined, feel free to chip in with suggestions for next month's recommendations, too!

--- End quote ---

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/value-pc-build,2506.html

zridling:
Wow, thanks mouser. This will be a great help since I'm wanting to replace my mom's 10-year old Windows computer on the side without spending enough money to be painful.

Deozaan:
I've used Tom's Hardware as a reference before, mostly to compare GPU benchmarks. This particular series looks very interesting indeed! Thanks for pointing it out, mouser.

JavaJones:
Looks like a cool series given it's not just random recommendations but actual tested configs. Pretty cool.

Zaine, might I ask why you're intending to build her a machine instead of just getting one off-the-shelf with support? At the lower price points, it's usually very hard to compete with a large OEM like Dell if you include the cost of the OS and all components. Not to mention support. I used to really dislike Dell, but they've actually been pretty solid more recently, and of course they're not the only option. You might not save much, if any, by going the home-build route, and then you have to provide all support. :D

- Oshyan

mouser:
i agree with what JJ is saying.. it's very hard to argue for any financial savings in building your own pc, and the support problems and the defective part problems are completely yours alone when you build it yourself.

and with so many choices in the configuration websites of the big builders, you can really customize the pcs you have built by dell, gateway, compaq, etc.

i think the real reason to build your own pc is the same reason you might build your own furniture, the enjoyment of creating it yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version