ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

Live Screensaver

(1/3) > >>

michaewlewis:
Where I work, we usually have the screens on the same information for very long periods of time. I used to think that screen burn-in was impossible on an LCD, but we have several monitors that have semi-permanent burn-in because of our needs. (to clear the burn-in, you have to unplug the monitor for a few days). Normally, you would just set a screensaver to turn on after a half-hour or something, but our needs demand that the information on the screens be visible at all times. I've seen some screensavers that take a snapshot of the screen and move that around or run swirling graphical somethings all around. That is a step in the right direction, but I need the information to continue to update itself at least every 5-10 seconds.
I'm wondering if anyone wants to try to tackle this for me. At this point, I'm not exactly sure what such a screensaver would look like, but maybe someone else will have an idea. I'll be thinking about it a little more over the next few days and edit this post or reply if I think of something.

Thanks.

mouser:
but I need the information to continue to update itself at least every 5-10 seconds.
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting idea and i'm not sure i've seen it implemented yet.

To sum up:

* You want a screensaver -- something that kicks in automatically after some disuse, or which could be triggered manually
* You want something that acts prevents burn in by changing the screen pixels regularly, but presumably leaves the information on the screen in a somewhat readable state.
* But you also need it to work with the latest view of the desktop, which is going to be changing regularly.
Some things that would be useful to know:

* You mention swirling screensaver effects, etc.  it's not clear to me what your ideal desire is in terms of how readable the screen should be while this is in effect.
* Does anyone know what kind of minimal visual manipulation is necessary to prevent burn in, and might also save energy?  In other words, could you simply invert the screen colors for every other second?

Target:
what about just moving the window every so often, eg 10mm to the right, then 10 down, 10 left, 10 up, etc

(i assume it's a windowed app :huh:)

michaewlewis:
Wow, I'm surprised how fast you guys replied!
My application is full-screen only, so moving a window is not an option. Perhaps doing a screen shot every 5-10 seconds and shrinking it by 5-50 pixels and making the image move around on the screen? Very subtle, but may do the trick.
Or even something like the Bubbles screensaver on Vista, but having the background continue to update...... The only problem with that is the corners would not be affected.

Deozaan:
Could you set up something like ScreenShot Captor to take a screenshot every 5-10 seconds and use that as the image for your screensaver?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version