topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: garnet back again  (Read 8330 times)

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
garnet back again
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:32 PM »
just installed the newest version of process tamer. i did this to get the upgrades, but also the program indicated that tamer tray was not running. it comes up indicating that it is running (green) and then after a second or two not running (red)
i have recently installed the newest version of xpsmoker and have one of the preconfigured services settings activated which renders down services on my operating system  close to a bare bones set.
is process tamer dependent on any services ?
i don't know if i am on the right track, but this is my best guess.
Garnet Andrew Goudey

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: garnet back again
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 10:49 PM »
someone else just reported this today.. i wonder what is going on..
btw - if the tray icon is there, then it IS running - it just means that the configurator tool is not finding it.
it's important that you launch the configurator through the tray tool otherwise the configurator won't find it.

until i figure out what is causing this let me just point out that the only thing that happens when the configurator doesnt find the tray tool (says its not running), is that any changes you make to rules won't automatically be seen by the tray tool, so you'd have to exit and restart it in order for changed in the rules to take effect.

i'll try to get this fixed asap.

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh yes, i forgot
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 11:05 AM »
on the processes tab it does not show any...zero
see attachment

* not clear how to put a jpeg into the message
Garnet Andrew Goudey

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quod erat demonstrantum (Re: oh yes, i forgot)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Hi, garnet!

Please use descriptive topics that might give a hint about what you wrote - "oh yes, i forgot" isn't really better than the original topic you used ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:49 PM »
check this thread: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1092.0
i think you've got a service disabled that is needed in order to monitor processes.

from that thread:
I think I've found the cause of the problem, I use XPlite to remove components I don't use, one component is 'Performance Monitor' if I reinstall that using XPlite, ProcessTamer works, so yeah like you say most likely some DLL issue.

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Performance Monitor service
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 01:53 AM »
the only service that i have stopped that is close to "Performance Monitor" in name is Performance Logs and Alerts Service. i started that one and nothing happened. is there a different name at all for Performance Monitor ?

XPsmoker promotes the eldergeek as reference for Windows services.... http://www.theelderg...m/services_guide.htm

the CPUeater seems to be working
Garnet Andrew Goudey

ken winston caine

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Mind Body Spirit Journal
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I am having this same problem, trying to get Process Tamer to work on my system. Reported it under "Black Ale"'s post. Will elaborate here, too.

I did run the CPUEater test. CPUEater gobbled my CPU but Process Tamer did not seem to care in the least.

Also, when I open Process Tamer from the tray to configure it, it says Not Running in the configure mode and shows no processes in the rules window.

In Windows Task Manager, under Applications, it shows Process Tamer Configuration GUI as "running." But Process Tamer Configuration GUI itself, after "Tamer Tray" says "Not Running" in red.

Don't know what else to add to describe this problem. Obviously a FEW other people have experienced it. Doesn't look like anyone other than Black Ale is certain what they have done that solved it. And I don't understand Black Ale's solution. Don't know what "Perfomance Monitor" he is referring to that he re-enabled and which then seems have allowed Process Tamer to do its thing.

Best,
kwc