topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd  (Read 4861 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Okay, I get that some things should not be said on the internet. But this was just too simple yet ingenious for me to pass up, and I'm curious what other cool things people use their netbooks for.

What I did today (am doing) is a bit on the mischievous side you might say (who would have thought, a teenager causing mischief?? :o ;D). It runs along my typical lines of tech fun. :P To any and all parents out there: next time you think 'Parental Controls', know that if your kids are tech-savvy (or have friends that are) that phrase means the opposite of what you have come to know.
Spoiler
OpenDNS is amazing for when I'm angry at my parents. Love that degree of control. Just sayin'. Ehem.

Anyways, through 17-year-old genius (or just plain boredom, not sure yet) I have found a relatively simple yet very handy trick to be able to play my music as loud as I want while not being caught. Also useful to scare your spouse, friends, freak people out, etc. Many uses. :P

Needed supplies:
  • Netbook with decent wireless card and webcam (I have an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-P)
  • Good router or wireless signal wherever you want to watch
  • Teamviewer (or other remote control app of your choice, LogMeIn is good, as well as CrossLoop)
  • A bit of time

Procedure:
  • In my case, I already had TeamViewer and Skype installed and running. From within Skype you go to Tools > Options...
  • Click Video Settings on the left
  • Click 'Take A Snapshot'
  • When the snapshot window appears, close all other Skype windows
  • Position netbook at desired location, pointing at your target
  • Return to primary computer and logon to the netbook remotely (for me this was just a TeamViewer connection, I had an account and simply double clicked the machine, but it will vary based on the program you use and everything - everyone here is smart enough to get this part working, or get help from someone :up:)
  • Close anything you want on the netbook, and likewise launch whatever you want. But the Skype window must stay visible (foremost preferred, due to low resolution - I set TeamViewer to only show the Skype window) for you to watch.
  • Do not move the mouse or type anything else on the netbook at this time. If you have an Eee PC, or a netbook that can turn off the display, return to the netbook (physically) and do this now. You don't want your target to see the machine on.
  • Set the remote control window to stay always on top. There are many tools online that can do this, I used Always On Top Maker. First Google result.
  • Sit and wait. Once your target comes into view (or earshot, if your remote control app supports this (ex: LogMeIn Pro)), execute your plan. Control the netbook and play a sound, video, or even call it on Skype - whatever you want to do.
  • Enjoy a good laugh (or whatever, depending on what you did) - lock the machine remotely if necessary (additional laughs?)
(Obviously, this can be reversed and you can use the primary machine with a webcam, and use the netbook in a different location)

My scenario:
My parents HATE it when I play loud music, and thus I cannot do so when they are home (sister doesn't care, she loves Linkin Park :P). I cannot make the speakers and sound card go loud enough ever (I blew out my 7.1 system last February). So following the steps above roughly, here is what I did while home alone today...

• Got the Take A Snapshot video window going
  • Setup my Eee in the garage, atop a saw table my dad has, pointing out at the garage door (the metal one that lifts, not the house entrance one)
  • Connected to it on TeamViewer and had it only show the Skype window
  • Had Always On Top Maker make TeamViewer stay on top of all my windows
  • Watching, waiting for my mom to get home. The garage door takes about 8 seconds to lift open, and it takes a good 8-12 seconds for her to pull in and park.

Last second edit:
She pulled in right before I hit Post :P

Images for the curious:
Spoiler
creenshot - 2_2_2010 , 4_38_08 PM_ver001.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_15_42 PM_ver001.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_15_45 PM_ver001.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_15_50 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_15_52 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_15_54 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_16_00 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_16_05 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
Screenshot - 2_2_2010 , 5_16_11 PM.jpgAlternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:45 PM »
You ass, you're doing the LOUD part WRONG!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_H4mpcd5IhfI/Sz0PEVruCiI/AAAAAAAAAKY/hIsCxmTIQH0/s800/SDC10587.JPG

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alternative Uses for Netbooks: Good, Bad, Random or Odd
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55 PM »
You ass, you're doing the LOUD part WRONG!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_H4mpcd5IhfI/Sz0PEVruCiI/AAAAAAAAAKY/hIsCxmTIQH0/s800/SDC10587.JPG

If I absolutely wanted to, I could order the Logitech Z5500 off Newegg and hook that up, or get my sister's amp and my dad's speakers and blast my window out. But that might be a bit obvious. :P