topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using LBC to make Windows 7 usable  (Read 6684 times)

helloworld.c

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using LBC to make Windows 7 usable
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:18 PM »
After upgrading to Win7 I was dismayed to find that it was lacking support for additional taskbars. I always used to have one at the top of my screen. Glad I found LaunchBar Commander and let me thank you Mouser for your great work!

That said, there are a few things that I find missing and not working quite "right" under Windows 7 and I just want to list them here for consideration:

- I always use auto-hide and really like that it hides completely and doesn't leave a thin line like other solutions that I have tried. However, I noticed that sometimes, when a window is maximized it may be un-hidden but still stays covered by the maximized window, so you cannot see it until you move or minimize the maximized window. LBC, when un-hiding behind a maximized window, should always move to the front.

- On the other hand, when using full-screen (not maximized!) applications, the LBC bar sometimes appears when the mouse cursor is moved to the edge of the screen. If you use for example a maximized remote desktop application with an auto-hiding menu by itself, you cannot reach it anymore if the LBC bar always moves to the front. LBC should not appear over full-screen applications IMO. Perhaps making it a configuration option?

- I would like to better separate folders and command items and would wish for an option to change the item's position in the bar. An alternative would be to allow multiple "spacer" items in addition to the separators.

- I use small icons with no text and would really like if the caption text would appear as tooltip when you hover the mouse over an item

- As someone else already suggested, link items should be displayed just by their name without the .lnk extension, just like explorer

I would really like to hear what you think of the suggestions. I think that the LaunchBar Commander could gain many more users, especially among those that are frustrated with the Windows 7 shortcomings like I am.

Cheers,
Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using LBC to make Windows 7 usable
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I think i agree with everything you've said -- the first two items are bugs i think, that i'm trying to solve.

the only one i done understand is:
- I would like to better separate folders and command items and would wish for an option to change the item's position in the bar. An alternative would be to allow multiple "spacer" items in addition to the separators.

can you elaborate?

helloworld.c

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14 AM »
I think i agree with everything you've said -- the first two items are bugs i think, that i'm trying to solve.

the only one i done understand is:

can you elaborate?
Certainly. The way I was using the original additional toolbar was that I had one auto-hide "quicklaunch" bar on top. This bar normally holds what would be command items in LBC, so "direct launch". Then I added additional toolbars into the quicklaunch bar to have a similar effect than folder items in LBC, i.e. a drop-down menu kind of arrangement. Windows would allow me to move these items all the way to the right so that they are clearly separated from the command items. See attached my bar in WinXP.
In LBC there is no way for me to move folder items to the right of the screen. There is no free positioning of items at all. What I thought I'd do was to add "invisible", empty command items in between the command and the folder items to have the desired effect. But they would still be clickable which would be a little irritating. That's what I meant with "spacers": Empty, invisible items that allow for some flexibility in positioning items on the bar. Should be easier than the "gold" solution which would be free movement of items within the bar.

Cheers,
Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Right ok now i understand completely.. you want to be able to control spacing more.. perhaps something as simple as being able to create spacer elements.  I think i should be able to add that.

MacBrad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Further to Helloworld.c 's initial post....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:58 PM »
"...link items should be displayed just by their name without the .lnk extension, just like explorer"

I am also seeing the .lnk in my "Folder Nodes".  When I did a search on this, I saw that it had supposedly been resolved a while ago.  Is the return of the ".lnk" extensions visible in the Folder Node as recent occurance?  Is it going to be addressed?

(Oh and I like the menu bar "spacers" idea...)

Just wondering....

Regards,
Brad

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06 PM »
It's on my todo list -- I've just been slow getting to items.. I'll have this done soon.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Arbitrarily sized separators are done; will be in next update.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:50 AM »
Beta (v1.111.01) is available here: https://www.donation...arCommanderSetup.exe