ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Faster boots combining hibernate and restart (Boot Snooze)

<< < (28/34) > >>

skwire:
After a conversation with snark_be (thanks!) and, after doing some tests, it's easier to enable/disable auto-login than I initially thought so I've changed my mind about adding it.  Here's some thoughts on this:

1) Add username and password fields to the Boot Snooze form with a checkbox for enabling auto-login.

2) If enabled, the requisite registry entries will be set just before shutdown.  DefaultUserName, DefaultPassword and AutoAdminLogon are the keys involved.  DefaultUserName is almost always already in place.

3) If enabled and upon rebooting, Boot Snooze will remove the DefaultPassword and AutoAdminLogon registry entries.  In other words, Boot Snooze will minimise the amount of time that a box is in AutoLogon-able state.

4) I don't think Boot Snooze should save the username and password (even encrypted) in the config.ini file.  Yes, that does mean the user will have to enter it each time.  I'm open to discussion on this.

Thoughts, everybody?

mouser:
4) I don't think Boot Snooze should save the username and password (even encrypted) in the config.ini file.  Yes, that does mean the user will have to enter it each time.  I'm open to discussion on this.
--- End quote ---

what i thought was being proposed, which would be much more elegant if possible, but i'm not sure it is,
would be to set a flag saying no password is needed to login temporarily, without needing to know the users password, and then re-enabling it if it was previously enabled.

in other words, if it would be at all possible to keep BootSnooze completely out of the business of needing a password at any point, it should be done.

snark_be:
mouser, I'm pretty sure it cannot be done. The password is most certainly stored very well and not reachable by any tool to change. That would be a serious security hole: you ghet infected by a virus, it changes your password and you're locked out of your own account. Even if you could remove the password, I'm not sure it could be put back after the boot as simply as that.

Setting up Autologon is, I think, the only solution but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong  :) .

JavaJones:
It's actually super easy to remove the password, or at least it used to be under XP and possibly Vista. There was a boot disc to do it though, so maybe it's not so easy from within Windows. Not sure about restoring it though...

- Oshyan

snark_be:
It's actually super easy to remove the password, or at least it used to be under XP and possibly Vista. There was a boot disc to do it though, so maybe it's not so easy from within Windows. Not sure about restoring it though...-JavaJones (March 05, 2010, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Possible with a boot disk for floppy, running a light Linux and tools that hacks the registry while it's not being used by a running Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version