ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Faster boots combining hibernate and restart (Boot Snooze)

<< < (2/34) > >>

scancode:
ASRock motherboards come with a tool that does exactly that: ASRock Instant Boot

Been using it for a while, works great.

skwire:
i think the danger here is of something going wrong with the post-restart process, and getting into a cycle of never ending reboots.
one way to solve this is when the startup shortcut is run, it should give a countdown to hibernate, with button to cancel+remove shortcut; and if the program ever can't remove the shortcut for some reason it needs to report this and tell user what to do.-mouser (January 29, 2010, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it would only ever reboot one time....no loop.  However, your concern about not being able to delete the shortcut is valid and can be handled.

remember that you will want to give the pc some amount of time after the reboot to finish the startup process, otherwise it may not hibernate nicely.
-mouser (January 29, 2010, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I mentioned a ten-minute delay in my previous post.  I think that ought to be enough, eh?

mouser:
Well, it would only ever reboot one time....no loop.  However, your concern about not being able to delete the shortcut is valid and can be handled.
--- End quote ---
what i meant was that if something goes wrong like it's not able to delete the shortcut, etc.

wr975:
Some ideas:

I wouldn't launch the "10 mins wait then hibernate" command via Autostart but the "runonce" registry setting (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137367)

The "10 mins wait" command should also check if the system is idle and/or do a "10 seconds to hibernate" countdown.

skwire:
Here's an AHK prototype:
I wouldn't launch the "10 mins wait then hibernate" command via Autostart but the "runonce" registry setting (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137367)
The "10 mins wait" command should also check if the system is idle and/or do a "10 seconds to hibernate" countdown.
-wr975 (January 29, 2010, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd prefer not to muck about in a user's registry if at all possible.  However, if the startup folder method proves to be a problem, I'll go that route.  The countdown timer can come later since I envisioned this as an app that the user will launch knowing he/she is walking away from their computer for an extended length of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version