ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HTML...In Britsh?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Eóin:
Ruby was invented by a Japanese man, he still opted for English keywords though.

KynloStephen66515:
English, or BRITISH? (Seeing as Americans have stolen the term 'English' for what should be called 'American' or at very least 'Bastardised English')

Eóin:
I too used to think the early Americans just couldn't spell but instead it seems the spelling of many words wasn't formalized back then. Later when dictionaries were compiled the two countries just settled on different spellings.

I'd guess Ruby would be American English but as it happens I don't think any of its keywords have different spelling. Perhaps the std library for it does though.

KynloStephen66515:
I too used to think the early Americans
-Eóin (January 30, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was more thinking of modern day American's.  I get a little irritated how most (not all) choose to call their version of 'English' the original, when it clearly is not, also, how they choose to drop letters from certain words just because they cannot pronounce/will not learn how to pronounce it correctly (IE: Aluminium becoming Aluminum)

tomos:
I too used to think the early Americans
-Eóin (January 30, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was more thinking of modern day American's.  I get a little irritated how most (not all) choose to call their version of 'English' the original, when it clearly is not, also, how they choose to drop letters from certain words just because they cannot pronounce/will not learn how to pronounce it correctly (IE: Aluminium becoming Aluminum)
-Stephen66515 (January 30, 2010, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

it's interesting that many American words (and pronunciations) are the those that would have been used in England in the 17th/18th centuries - it was England that changed from e.g. Fall to Autumn. Of course it works the other way around too..
I'm not a fan of the spelling changes either, but suspect we might be totally appalled by the spelling of the future if certain spelling habits catch on (like as in txtng ur messge - although maybe predictive text will ward that one off!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version