ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PuranDefrag V7 now free for home use

<< < (3/5) > >>

MerleOne:

I have noticed you keep up with defraggers and have posted for some time on Donn Edwards' defrag site. 8) Since you keep up with this type of software, I would surely like to know if you have an opinion on the freeware Quicksys Disk Defrag? They have a portable version and it looks very nice, but I haven't benchmarked or done any direct comparisons to Puran Defrag.
-sajman99 (March 11, 2010, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well observed !  I have indeed tried QuickSys Disk Defrag some time ago but it was merely just to see how it looked.  I don't think it sorts directories as Puran does, and I am not too sure about exclusions either.

Currently, I am using mostly SmartDefrag IOBit 1.40 for several reasons :
- file exclusion based on size (I chose 512 MB as a limit)
- fast
- sorts directories
- redefrags are usually quick

I use Puran for my System Disk and for the offline features, and for some removable media-like disks (such as TrueCrypt or SafeHouse containers).

sajman99:
OK- thanks for the info, MerleOne.

FWIW I tried out QuickSys Disk Defrag last night and it was (on my system anyway) incredibly SLOW. I suppose subsequent scans could be much faster after the first full optimization, but it was cranking away for 20 minutes and hadn't yet indicated 1% on the progress bar. Since it looked like it would literally take all night to complete, I had seen enough and cancelled.

sajman99:
Puran Defrag 7.1 was recently released, but it's a very minor update which only adds user selectable idle time in automatic defrag.

..Currently, I am using mostly SmartDefrag IOBit 1.40 for several reasons :
- file exclusion based on size (I chose 512 MB as a limit)
- fast
- sorts directories
- redefrags are usually quick
-MerleOne (March 12, 2010, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Puran also meets all those criteria, doesn't it? :tellme:

I still have portable versions of Defraggler and Quicksys Disk Defrag to compare fragmentation numbers, but I now only use Puran for a full system optimization.

MerleOne:
Puran Defrag 7.1 was recently released, but it's a very minor update which only adds user selectable idle time in automatic defrag.

Puran also meets all those criteria, doesn't it? :tellme:

I still have portable versions of Defraggler and Quicksys Disk Defrag to compare fragmentation numbers, but I now only use Puran for a full system optimization.
-sajman99 (May 21, 2010, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I currently reverted to puran, in automatic mode, since the 7.1 update.  The average CPU usage is often over 10% so I needed the new version.  For automatic mode, I chose : optimize dirs + defrag files but not fill gaps.

I keep Smart Defrag IObit for the full defrag of the c: partition.

sajman99:
I currently reverted to puran, in automatic mode, since the 7.1 update.  The average CPU usage is often over 10% so I needed the new version.  For automatic mode, I chose : optimize dirs + defrag files but not fill gaps.

I keep Smart Defrag IObit for the full defrag of the c: partition.
-MerleOne (May 22, 2010, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have all four of Puran's "Additional Operations" enabled including fill gaps and free some space. Filling gaps really adds to the defrag time, but those two options seem to work well to prevent rapid fragmentation.

I actually uninstalled MyDefrag last week--never thought I'd see the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version