topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PuranDefrag V7 now free for home use  (Read 16432 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
PuranDefrag V7 now free for home use
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:28 AM »
It's on http://www.puransoft...Defrag-Download.html (seen first on Raymond.cc). I highly recommend it.
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PuranDefrag V7 now free for home use
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Is my computer busted or are there no clickable links on the download page?  Every download button brings me to that page, but there's no link to download.

edit: I can get it from Softpedia, but it just seems weird.

http://www.softpedia...Download-150275.html

edit2: trying first run now.  Looks interesting.  I'll have to check out the Automatic modes later.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:29 PM by MilesAhead »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Is my computer busted or are there no clickable links on the download page?  Every download button brings me to that page, but there's no link to download.

edit: I can get it from Softpedia, but it just seems weird.

http://www.softpedia...Download-150275.html

Clicking on the "Download" button works for me. It connects to this address.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Ok, I see what happened.  The download buttons are way over on the right.. scrolled off my browser window.  Sometimes with NoScript you click on a link and it acts flat.  I thought that was the trouble. In any case I completed a non-boot defrag with all the available optimizations.  Feels a bit like MyDefrag Daily Optimize but with a much nicer OSD.  Looks like a keeper. I have to try out the Idle Processing scheme.

edit: btw Crystal Disk Mark likes it.  I got about the same scores as MyDefrag Daily Optimize. Perhaps just a tad better.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:09 PM by MilesAhead »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Crystal Disk Mark likes it
Thanks for the info.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13 AM »
Hi,

Could you clarity what you mean by "CrystalMark likes it" : you perform a before defrag /after defrag comparison and check for differences in the benchmark result ?  Or is it something else ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:53 AM »
If you believe in Crystal Disk Mark scores it means it works. Pretty much straightforward except this info from helpfile regarding PIOZR:

This option will move the most frequently used files of the system to continuous and faster area of the disk and hence optimizing complete system performance. This option is Recommended to be performed once in a week and should not be performed more frequently than that and hence it is not included in Automatic Defragmentation. Though performing it frequently wont harm your system but it wont benefit your system either.

so set up automatic defragmentation accordingly. Brilliant scheduler btw. If there is hate towards Windows defrag this must be the one to use.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Hi,

Could you clarity what you mean by "CrystalMark likes it" : you perform a before defrag /after defrag comparison and check for differences in the benchmark result ?  Or is it something else ?  Thanks.

Sequential read and write show noticeable improvement after running a defrag with all the optimizations enabled.  Whereas a defrag with Auslogics will smooth out the disk access, but show no increase in throughput(unless the drive has been neglected.. I usually do at least a quick defrag several times a week if not every day.)

It's more pronounced on my 500 GB drive, perhaps because it's a few years older and only has 16 MB cache.

edit: the Puran with all optimizations seems to be comparable to MyDefrag Daily Optimize but perhaps a bit more thorough.  The OSD is an order of magnitude better though.  I got rid of the other defraggers since it looks like this will be the only one I need now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:08 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56 PM »
@MerleOne I'm really starting to like this utility.  It's all I use now for defrag. I do the quickie defrags often.  Then when analyze shows quite a bit of fragmentation I clear out files I don't need, enable all the optimizations, and let it go.  Does a nice job without overkill.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:12 PM »
@MerleOne: Looks like I somehow overlooked your Puran thread-- my bad.:-[ I also like Puran and have mentioned it in a few other threads.

I have noticed you keep up with defraggers and have posted for some time on Donn Edwards' defrag site. 8) Since you keep up with this type of software, I would surely like to know if you have an opinion on the freeware Quicksys Disk Defrag? They have a portable version and it looks very nice, but I haven't benchmarked or done any direct comparisons to Puran Defrag.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 01:59 AM »

I have noticed you keep up with defraggers and have posted for some time on Donn Edwards' defrag site. 8) Since you keep up with this type of software, I would surely like to know if you have an opinion on the freeware Quicksys Disk Defrag? They have a portable version and it looks very nice, but I haven't benchmarked or done any direct comparisons to Puran Defrag.

Well observed !  I have indeed tried QuickSys Disk Defrag some time ago but it was merely just to see how it looked.  I don't think it sorts directories as Puran does, and I am not too sure about exclusions either.

Currently, I am using mostly SmartDefrag IOBit 1.40 for several reasons :
- file exclusion based on size (I chose 512 MB as a limit)
- fast
- sorts directories
- redefrags are usually quick

I use Puran for my System Disk and for the offline features, and for some removable media-like disks (such as TrueCrypt or SafeHouse containers).

.merle1.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46 PM »
OK- thanks for the info, MerleOne.

FWIW I tried out QuickSys Disk Defrag last night and it was (on my system anyway) incredibly SLOW. I suppose subsequent scans could be much faster after the first full optimization, but it was cranking away for 20 minutes and hadn't yet indicated 1% on the progress bar. Since it looked like it would literally take all night to complete, I had seen enough and cancelled.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Puran Defrag 7.1 was recently released, but it's a very minor update which only adds user selectable idle time in automatic defrag.

..Currently, I am using mostly SmartDefrag IOBit 1.40 for several reasons :
- file exclusion based on size (I chose 512 MB as a limit)
- fast
- sorts directories
- redefrags are usually quick
Puran also meets all those criteria, doesn't it? :tellme:

I still have portable versions of Defraggler and Quicksys Disk Defrag to compare fragmentation numbers, but I now only use Puran for a full system optimization.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Puran Defrag 7.1 was recently released, but it's a very minor update which only adds user selectable idle time in automatic defrag.

Puran also meets all those criteria, doesn't it? :tellme:

I still have portable versions of Defraggler and Quicksys Disk Defrag to compare fragmentation numbers, but I now only use Puran for a full system optimization.

I currently reverted to puran, in automatic mode, since the 7.1 update.  The average CPU usage is often over 10% so I needed the new version.  For automatic mode, I chose : optimize dirs + defrag files but not fill gaps.

I keep Smart Defrag IObit for the full defrag of the c: partition.
.merle1.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I currently reverted to puran, in automatic mode, since the 7.1 update.  The average CPU usage is often over 10% so I needed the new version.  For automatic mode, I chose : optimize dirs + defrag files but not fill gaps.

I keep Smart Defrag IObit for the full defrag of the c: partition.

I have all four of Puran's "Additional Operations" enabled including fill gaps and free some space. Filling gaps really adds to the defrag time, but those two options seem to work well to prevent rapid fragmentation.

I actually uninstalled MyDefrag last week--never thought I'd see the day.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how Puran Defrag (the free version) compares with Perfect Disk?  I've got a copy of PerfectSpeed 10, which includes the defrag technology of Perfect Disk 10.  I've been happy with it, but I'm curious about Puran.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 06:35 AM »
Does anyone have any idea how Puran Defrag (the free version) compares with Perfect Disk? 

I'd be interested in this too. I have Perfect Disk (2008 - I got rather irritated by all the requests to upgrade, when I wasn't clear about the benefits) but now find that I tend to use Puran. Not that I have anything set to auto defrag, and I don't tend to defrag frequently.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I've never used Perfect Disk--does it have running background services 24/7?

With Puran, at least you have the choice to use the auto-defrag options--and even then it runs very light with the Puran service running.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I currently reverted to puran, in automatic mode, since the 7.1 update.  The average CPU usage is often over 10% so I needed the new version.  For automatic mode, I chose : optimize dirs + defrag files but not fill gaps...

Am I understanding correctly that you do not use fill gaps or PIOZR? Are these choices related to your imaging strategy? Perhaps you are attempting to minimize excessive file movement to achieve efficient backup?

Thanks very much--just trying to learn from a knowledgeable source. 8)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 03:57 PM »

Am I understanding correctly that you do not use fill gaps or PIOZR? Are these choices related to your imaging strategy? Perhaps you are attempting to minimize excessive file movement to achieve efficient backup?

Thanks very much--just trying to learn from a knowledgeable source. 8)

Exactly !
.merle1.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Boot time defrag is a notable advantage Puran has had over other free alternatives.

But now Piriform mentions "offline defragmentation of system files during boot process" in the newest version of Defraggler.

Hmmm...plenty of good defrag choices nowadays.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Puran Defrag version 7.3 has been released. The Disk Check option is now divided into "Disk Check" and "Full Disk Check". Also, GUI problems which occurred with large DPI settings have been fixed.