ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What would life be like without Windows?

<< < (6/7) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
with the amount of users apple and linux OS's are generating i think it will be curtains for windows soon  8)

Josh:
Stephen: People have been saying what you are since Windows 95. Windows is far from dead and in fact Windows 7 actually brought quite a few users back after the Vista debacle. You have to remember, the number of users for Apples OSX and Linux variants can really only go up. When you have the market share that MS has with Windows, it is not that you want it to keep going up, its a matter of maintenance. One thing stats don't account for is how many users own multiple systems in their homes, how many of these homes are DEDICATED *nix/Apple users, and how many of these homes use one platform just because they have to or have no need for something else? Saying Windows is going to meet its demise soon is like calling the end of days which so many tabloids try and do with "Nostradomous" predictions. Apple and Linux can gain all they want but until they offer the majority what they require, Windows will still have its place as it does what a good majority of the population wants.

KynloStephen66515:
I know...it was just a random pun rofl, people will never fully migrate to any other OS than Windows :(

cranioscopical:
curtains for windows soon
-Stephen66515 (January 30, 2010, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Move in to the light! Fiat Linux.

JavaJones:
On a serious note, this article basically echoes a lot of thoughts I've always had. The dreams of getting rid of MS are fantastic in concept, at least some parts, but there are a *lot* of problems to solve to get there. And if you do solve all those problems, it's hard to imagine not basically just becoming another MS-like entity. What it comes down to is that there is tremendous advantage in standardization mixed with accountability (even if that standard is only "de facto" and proprietary, and the accountability costs money). It's hard for the open source community, or even any myriad of smaller companies to offer that. Still, I'm quite curious to see how we'll move beyond MS. I mean it has to happen eventually, right? 100, 1000 years from now, will we be booting up Windows 500 in our space rockets (or our braaaains)? It's hard to imagine...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version