ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Gothic Idea for new page on the site/forum -- random thread page

<< < (3/4) > >>

sgtevmckay:
It's all good  :Thmbsup:

Gothi[c]:
Hahaha, I can already see this fun little project turn into Super big giant mega project for mouser. Don't give him too many ideas or we won't see it this year :D

mouser:
well.. one thing to do would be to piggy back on the search functionality, which already lets you select which boards to search and put in some terms.

so one solution would be to:
add options/parameters to the search page to make it randomize within the results it returns
allow you to specify no search terms (meaning find a set of random threads that meet other criteria)
add options to bias results to only older unread ones

And then you could add an "im feeling lucky" button to the main page that just conducted one preset search, but people could make their own bookmarks for arbitrary lucky "searches"

The one drawback for this would be that the search function puts a pretty heavy load on the server and i'm not sure how wise it is to increase it's use in this fashion, compared to an "Im feeling Lucky" function which could be designed for minimal db use.

sgtevmckay:
I am concerned along teh same lines as you in regards to server load...

A Random Button, that just loads a random older post
An "I;m Feeling Lucky" attached to search

These are relatively easy  :up:

A full end customized search page with a lot of filter options and command entries to the search box.
Coding would be fun, but not only the load factor on the server, but also the system "Fart" factor if there is no search Limiter.
ie. Something that will return either the least active, or most active posts.
No limitations on the search (In a custom search) may also take time to return values (again; the load factor)

Gothi[c] is right in program timing (Rome, a day, and all that)
So maybe an "I'm Feeling lucky " button for search Parameters, and a "Random Thread" Button to start (???)

app103:
Why not just the random button that takes you to a random thread from the Livingroom section, only? The stuff there is pretty much of interest to just about anyone and would be an interesting collection to browse through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version