ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Gothic Idea for new page on the site/forum -- random thread page

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
a simple Random type button to add to the menu bar.
--- End quote ---

yes, and maybe when you hit random, and it shows you a random general thread.. the page where it shows you the general random thread would have some alternative random buttons that would give you slightly different things.

like "Random unreplied post" | "Random popular topic" | "Random blog post"

sgtevmckay:
Yes:
Your thoughts are an expansion on the concept (I like it), but yes.  :Thmbsup:

I guess kind of like the StumbleUpon addon for Firefox  :P
Sometimes you do get something interesting

steeladept:
Perhaps it could be somewhat user defined.  For example, if I want to always exclude a certain topic (say the programming schools for example), then I could set it to exclude that.  For many threads, it doesn't get visited because it is not something most are interested in.  Ideally, the way I would want to see it is each person has a weighting scheme attached for each broad area of the forum.  They can then change the weights so some areas pop up more often, and some don't pop up at all.  So I could set, for example, the Living Room to show old threads 40% of the time, Reviews 30% of the time, Coding Snacks 10% of the time, and DC Website Help 20%.  Then I could set the rest to 0% and ensure I only see old threads that I would deem generally relevant to what I was interested in.  Just a thought....

sgtevmckay:
Perhaps it could be somewhat user defined.  For example, if I want to always exclude a certain topic (say the programming schools for example), then I could set it to exclude that.  For many threads, it doesn't get visited because it is not something most are interested in.  Ideally, the way I would want to see it is each person has a weighting scheme attached for each broad area of the forum.  They can then change the weights so some areas pop up more often, and some don't pop up at all.  So I could set, for example, the Living Room to show old threads 40% of the time, Reviews 30% of the time, Coding Snacks 10% of the time, and DC Website Help 20%.  Then I could set the rest to 0% and ensure I only see old threads that I would deem generally relevant to what I was interested in.  Just a thought....
-steeladept (January 27, 2010, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see what you are suggesting, and being the forum admin for Rainmeter...you have actually given me a shutter.
Something like this may actually require individual Options, and calls to the DB.

Granted my experience is limited, but I instantly see two options regarding the concept.
1.) An attached options page to each users account (Nightmarish)
2.) Something similar to a search page, with filters and a search box that can also handle additional command line type exceptions that will query the DB.
Do-able: Yes....Now do you want to program it  :tellme:

Understanding the program concept and the calls that will be made to the DB to produce the results....I like Mousers Idea better.

Of course I suspect (Correctly I believe) that Gothi[c] has way more experience than I and this may be less complicated to his eyes than mine

steeladept:
Of course I suspect (Correctly I believe) that Gothi[c] has way more experience than I and this may be less complicated to his eyes than mine
-sgtevmckay (January 27, 2010, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Or it may not.  I was looking at this from the end user POV only.  I am not a programmer and do not play one on the TV, er, computer.  I know just enough to know it is possible.  Not to know if it is realistically feasible.  That is why I throw out the ideas and someone else throws them away - or impliments them if it is worth it.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version