ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your *favorite* programming language and *why* ?

<< < (5/9) > >>

mrainey:
My favorite language remains Emergence BASIC, even though the developer is selling it because of poor health and future support is a big question mark.

I'm not a hardcore programmer.  Emergence is pretty straightforward for me to understand and code with.  It's extremely stable and creates compact, freestanding executables that run on XP thru Win 7 (and often on older Windows versions).  It has the power to handle just about anything, given the right coder.

wraith808:
The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small.
-PPLandry (January 27, 2010, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

<.<
>.>

Ummm... what?

PPLandry:
The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small.
--- End quote ---

<.<
>.>

Ummm... what?
-wraith808 (January 27, 2010, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.nbdtech.com/Blog/archive/2009/05/25/what-percentage-of-users-have-the-.net-framework-installed-and.aspx

as of may 2009:
   Version     Percentage

none    17%
    1.0    0%
    1.1    3%
    2.0    24%
    3.0    30%
    3.5    5%
    3.5SP1    21%

Or, to put it another way:

17% of visitors don’t have .net at all
80% of visitors are able to run .net 2.0 software without any lengthy download or installation.
56% of visitors have .net 3.0 or later and can use WPF, WCF and WF.

--- End quote ---

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

So you consider 80% to be quite small?  I've never tried to run a .NET 2.0 app on any machine and not had it installed.  Even for 3.0 56% is decent penetration less than a year after release... I remember when VB6 had been out for about the same time and had less penetration.

PPLandry:
--- End quote ---

So you consider 80% to be quite small?  I've never tried to run a .NET 2.0 app on any machine and not had it installed.  Even for 3.0 56% is decent penetration less than a year after release... I remember when VB6 had been out for about the same time and had less penetration.
-wraith808 (January 28, 2010, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
It is very good, indeed.

My point was strickly in regards to portable applications. If you carry your app + data on an USB stick, you want to be able to use it anytime, anywhere. Only a COM app + an optional manifest file (whether VB or C++) can guarantee you this. With a .Net app, you may or you may not be able to run your app. You don't know.

If you're out of the office, on the road or in a meeting or something and you need your data, 56% or 80% is just not enough. You need 100%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version