Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 26, 2014, 05:08:07 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's your *favorite* programming language and *why* ?  (Read 10588 times)
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »

One of those questions. There are many threads about programming languages here... "What's The best programming language to start with", etc. But...  I don't think that such a question has its own thread.

So :
(1) what's your favorite programming language (whether you're actually using it or NOT, doesn't matter)
(2) and why?

Subjectivity is allowed... [Edit : but... could we try avoiding as much as possible language wars... and so things like "my language is better than yours", and "your language is the worst" type of thing ? Thanks Wink ]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:31:01 PM by Armando » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:57 PM »

Forget it... I found a similar thread here

The title wasn't that obvious (or was it?) so I missed it.

Welcome back Armando...  embarassed

Ok so we're already getting interesting answers -- different than the other less specific thread.
I'll remove my self deprecating comment...
So let's go : everyone interested to contribute a bit of their experience !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:57:13 PM by Armando » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:32 AM »

Fortran, the pinnacle of human achievement.  tongue

- zaine (on Google+)
Shades

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »

Hmmm, how to call people who actually like to program in Fortran.....Fortransvestites?    tongue

[/bad joke]
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:55:11 AM »

Hmmm, how to call people who actually like to program in Fortran.....Fortransvestites?    tongue

[/bad joke]

That's interesting... don't bad jokes require opening tags? Or is that why they're so shocking because they surprise us?  cheesy

Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »

Here I go again Wink

Without a doubt C++ because
  • it's absolutely everywhere.
  • there are libraries availible for everything.
  • compiles to native code.
  • when you start using modern C++ libraries like Boost you feel like you've truly moved away API and c-runtime coding and are actually working in a high level abstraction layer.
  • when you get into some of the really advanced template stuff like DSELs (eg phoenix2) you begin to see the amazing power of the language.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »

don't bad jokes require opening tags?

I believe the correct terminology is 'oh punning' tags, Perry.

Chris
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »

Ouch.  That was worse than the original joke. smiley

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »

Ouch.  That was worse than the original joke. smiley
Yeah, that one definitely warrants a prize of some kind.
Shades

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »

cranioscopical proves yet again that there is no match for him on this board   Wink
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »

Without a doubt C++ because
  • it's absolutely everywhere.
  • there are libraries availible for everything.
  • compiles to native code.
  • when you start using modern C++ libraries like Boost you feel like you've truly moved away API and c-runtime coding and are actually working in a high level abstraction layer.
  • when you get into some of the really advanced template stuff like DSELs (eg phoenix2) you begin to see the amazing power of the language.
ACK.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »

I can't say I have a favorite language at this point.. If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said C++.  I still use C++ more than any other language, and have used it for over two decades now.  But I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite language because i've spent the last decade looking for a replacement language that I could really fall in love with, and still haven't found one.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »

I can't say I have a favorite language at this point.. If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said C++.  I still use C++ more than any other language, and have used it for over two decades now.  But I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite language because i've spent the last decade looking for a replacement language that I could really fall in love with, and still haven't found one.
Not to mention you aspire to create your own programming language, which kinda puts you in a slightly different category (league) than (most of) the rest of us... smiley

For me C++ is a definite hands down favorite. I get cranky if I have to code in anything else.
slowmaker
Supporting Member

Reinventing the wheel can be fun!

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »

Can 'favorite' apply even if I don't still program in the language? If so, Euphoria would definitely be my answer. I don't actually code in it anymore, but it was my go-to language for essentially everything for many years, and still would be if it weren't for a handful of things that really have little to do with the core language.

Clean syntax, interpreter ease of development, translate to C compilation for faster run, custom type-checking routines, error messages that actually make sense, that lovely sequence data type, mmmmm Kiss. Euphoria was one of the few languages I felt I could actually 'think' in, it fit me so well.

If the 'favorite' label isn't allowed for a language I don't use anymore, then I guess PureBasic would be my current fav. My feelings about it are kind of like mouser's for C++, though; I like it a lot, but it's still just the thing that meets my goals better than anything else at the moment. I'm still on the lookout for something that will really knock my socks off the way Euphoria did years ago, but no luck so far... Sad

WinXP Home SP3 - PSPad 4.5.4
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »

If the 'favorite' label isn't allowed for a language I don't use anymore [...]

But of course it is !

Glenn Gould
PPLandry
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »

VB6. It just works and you can solve problems quickly without worrying about all the little details (of C++)

Plus it can generate truly portable apps, something C# and VB.Net cannot do

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

For all intents and purposes, .NET apps are portable as long as you are at a certain iteration of .NET on the machine- which depending on what you're using, it will be.  I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language... the only thing I dislike more is Crystal Reports (double shudders).

PPLandry
Supporting Member

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »

For all intents and purposes, .NET apps are portable as long as you are at a certain iteration of .NET on the machine- which depending on what you're using, it will be.  I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language... the only thing I dislike more is Crystal Reports (double shudders).

The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small. Plus, if you're not 100% sure of being able to run your app, it is pointless. I want 100% probability that when I want to run it, it will run. And a portable application (COM+manifest) will run on ALL XP and up machines, completely isolated from other DLLs (so no DLL hell).

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »

I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language...

I'll second that one, I automatically pass on anything coded in VB as it always ends up being a nightmare to deal with.
parkint
Supporting Member

It's bad luck to be superstitious

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

When asked, in job interviews, if I can code in VB my reply is usually:
"Yes.  But I always wash my hands afterwards"

I would like to say that I enjoy many languages.  When I spend much time with Javascript I enjoy it.
Recently, my work has forced me to do a lot with C# and I must give Microsoft proper credit for creating a language with the right 'feel' and not too much baggage.
But if I was cornered to name one language as a true favorite it would be Ruby.

mrainey
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »

My favorite language remains Emergence BASIC, even though the developer is selling it because of poor health and future support is a big question mark.

I'm not a hardcore programmer.  Emergence is pretty straightforward for me to understand and code with.  It's extremely stable and creates compact, freestanding executables that run on XP thru Win 7 (and often on older Windows versions).  It has the power to handle just about anything, given the right coder.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »

The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small.

<.<
>.>

Ummm... what?

PPLandry
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:02 AM »

The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small.

<.<
>.>

Ummm... what?

http://www.nbdtech.com/Bl...mework-installed-and.aspx

as of may 2009:
   Version     Percentage

none    17%
    1.0    0%
    1.1    3%
    2.0    24%
    3.0    30%
    3.5    5%
    3.5SP1    21%

Or, to put it another way:

17% of visitors don’t have .net at all
80% of visitors are able to run .net 2.0 software without any lengthy download or installation.
56% of visitors have .net 3.0 or later and can use WPF, WCF and WF.

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »

So you consider 80% to be quite small?  I've never tried to run a .NET 2.0 app on any machine and not had it installed.  Even for 3.0 56% is decent penetration less than a year after release... I remember when VB6 had been out for about the same time and had less penetration.

PPLandry
Supporting Member

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

So you consider 80% to be quite small?  I've never tried to run a .NET 2.0 app on any machine and not had it installed.  Even for 3.0 56% is decent penetration less than a year after release... I remember when VB6 had been out for about the same time and had less penetration.
It is very good, indeed.

My point was strickly in regards to portable applications. If you carry your app + data on an USB stick, you want to be able to use it anytime, anywhere. Only a COM app + an optional manifest file (whether VB or C++) can guarantee you this. With a .Net app, you may or you may not be able to run your app. You don't know.

If you're out of the office, on the road or in a meeting or something and you need your data, 56% or 80% is just not enough. You need 100%.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:57:26 PM by PPLandry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.055s | Server load: 0.02 ]