ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your *favorite* programming language and *why* ?

<< < (4/9) > >>

PPLandry:
VB6. It just works and you can solve problems quickly without worrying about all the little details (of C++)

Plus it can generate truly portable apps, something C# and VB.Net cannot do

wraith808:
-PPLandry (January 27, 2010, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

For all intents and purposes, .NET apps are portable as long as you are at a certain iteration of .NET on the machine- which depending on what you're using, it will be.  I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language... the only thing I dislike more is Crystal Reports (double shudders).

PPLandry:
-PPLandry (January 27, 2010, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

For all intents and purposes, .NET apps are portable as long as you are at a certain iteration of .NET on the machine- which depending on what you're using, it will be.  I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language... the only thing I dislike more is Crystal Reports (double shudders).
-wraith808 (January 27, 2010, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

The odds of have the correct version of .Net on a random machine (Internet café, at the office, etc) are quite small. Plus, if you're not 100% sure of being able to run your app, it is pointless. I want 100% probability that when I want to run it, it will run. And a portable application (COM+manifest) will run on ALL XP and up machines, completely isolated from other DLLs (so no DLL hell).

Stoic Joker:
I'd rather deal with the OS having the framework installed rather than the "DLL Hell" I had to endure with VB6 (shudders).  And the idiosyncracies of the language...-wraith808 (January 27, 2010, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll second that one, I automatically pass on anything coded in VB as it always ends up being a nightmare to deal with.

parkint:
When asked, in job interviews, if I can code in VB my reply is usually:
"Yes.  But I always wash my hands afterwards"

I would like to say that I enjoy many languages.  When I spend much time with Javascript I enjoy it.
Recently, my work has forced me to do a lot with C# and I must give Microsoft proper credit for creating a language with the right 'feel' and not too much baggage.
But if I was cornered to name one language as a true favorite it would be Ruby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version