topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best Twitter client?  (Read 7197 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best Twitter client?
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:26 AM »
thanks to its features like "Trending Topics", Twitter is becoming a quite good propagating tool. though susceptible to spams, it has the means to keep us informed with the news we want to know and not the other way around.

however, as the number of one's acquaintances grow, what is the best way to keep track of incoming tweets? or find out what is the breaking news, globally, regionally or across town?

i've been thinking that what is the best Twitter client out there to manage all this? or maybe it takes a couple of tools plus some tricks.. so for all twitter users from DoCo, do post here with your favourite tools or tricks regarding Twitter. they can be either desktop clients, online-based or even hardware devices such as mobile phones, pda, etc.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best Twitter client?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20 AM »
It's all a matter of personal taste currently as the Internet is still learning how to best interact with Twitter. The idioms of working with email don't quite lay inline with tweeting. The two in the Windows world that are gaining the largest userbase are TweetDeck (Adobe Air) and Seesmic Desktop for Windows.

I suggest you shy away from Seesmic Look and I do use TweetDeck on my iPod Touch.

Two pieces of advice if you are fairly new to Twitter: 1)Get familiar with the native Twitter web frontend  so you learn how Twitter works "nativley" and 2) Understand that the "native" way of "Retweeting" is not the most common way retweeting is done in the wild. (Maybe Google your favorite popular web news site to learn the difference or ask a tweeting buddy to show you by example.)

p.s. As you would expect I am @Tinjaw on Twitter.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:46 PM »
My major dislike in all that Adobe AIR stuff is that it looks all the same. For me, form follows function.
Thus, I use Echofon for Firefox (some reading) and TwitVim (most of my reading and writing). No registry entries (not even for uninstallation) are created, no useless GUI blingbling is contained, they don't eat too much RAM and they don't require any runtimes.

:Thmbsup:

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:10 PM »
TwitterFall for the casual twitter user and those who hate twitter but enjoy being confirmed in their faith.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21 AM »
Is this still up to date? I am trying Seesmic Desktop 2 at the moment, follow me www.twitter.com/pacifika

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Seesmic has a rather untiny GUI. Meanwhile I replaced Echofon by MetroTwit...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:18 AM »
I really like Silver Bird extension for Google Chrome.

BTW, the last post in this thread before today was from 1.5 years ago, just FYI.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32 AM »
Although it's a web client, Brizzly can separate your different interests within twitter:
https://brizzly.com/

Ninety percent of the time the people I follow on twitter are tech folks. I've seen so many people switch to tumblr in the last year in lieu of blogging, given its stupid-simple UI and lack of censorship for either text or photos. The fact that some a-hole is not trying to ban me for posting a photo or having MY opinion about a sensitive issue has been nice compared to so many other social media.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Seesmic has a rather untiny GUI. Meanwhile I replaced Echofon by MetroTwit...

Yeah, MetroTwit is really nice! (as is the same company's counterpart, "rowi", on my phone)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Also replaced seesmic with metrotwit. Seems a bit less infodense, which is good. Got freaking mad with 6 accounts on seesmic with all the columns.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14 AM »
another MetroTwit user here, been using it some time now. i like it's minimalistic ways.