Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 26, 2014, 01:01:34 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Send mailto: links to another computer on network  (Read 3112 times)
Notok
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »

This is something I've been really wanting for a while now. Unfortunately I don't know how complex this would be, but I'm hoping it will be simple enough for a coding snack smiley I wouldn't be opposed to using AutoHotKey if it would be easier.

What I would really like is a small app that would let me click a mailto: link on one computer, and have it open a new email to that recipient on another system.

I use Stardock's Multiplicity; if you know about Synergy, then it's basically the same thing (a software KVM type solution). I keep all of my volatile data like email on a different machine than what I use for most of my browsing.

The system running the web browser would be XP SP3, and the email system would be Windows 7 x64.

Please?  cheesy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:55:43 PM by Notok » Logged
kamahl
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »

I could make this relatively easily. I have two options:
  • Have a client-only program that uses PSExec to launch your mail app
  • Make both client and serverside applications.
Having a serverside application means several things:
  • You don't need to give the software the password for your other computer.
  • It knows whether it was successful
  • It requires the server app to be running.
  • It will be more reliable than PSExec

(I assume that somebody is still interested in this app?)
Notok
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »

I would cheesy

The server-client app would be preferable, for sure (for all of the obvious benefits, including the ones you stated), but I would be fine with the client-only as well. With that said, I'll leave it to you and your schedule and motivation smiley

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:50:19 PM by Notok » Logged
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:49 AM »

kamahl, if you haven't started yet, I have a working, proof-of-concept application done.  It's written using the client/server approach.  Let me know if you still want dibs on this Snack because, c'mon, you can't deny a man his dibs.   cheesy   Thmbsup

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.3 ]