ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

myBase Desktop 5.x + Addons Pack discounted on BitsDuJour.com (2010-01-25)

<< < (4/4)

rjbull:
It's really just because it's very good.  I did evernote for a while, which was totally different than Keynote.  Rightnote is just, well, right!  The features that really did it for me were the paragraph styles, the horizontal line button.  It's one of the very very few programs (especially for notetakers) that I find intuitive.-superboyac (February 07, 2012, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
My impression, from just reading the blurb, is that myBase has more features than RightNote.  Would you agree?  Having a smaller feature set may not matter as long as it has exactly the right features for you, of course.  I'm not as bothered by RTF editing within the notekeeper as you are, as I normally only use plain text for my own notes, but I am interested in a seamless ability to store clips from the Web.

I realise that there are differences between ideal notekeepers, Web page archivers and clipboard enhancers.  But they aren't easy to define, the more so as almost all real-world end-user data is transferred via the clipboard, wherever it ultimately ends up.

Neither RightNote nor myBase are particularly cheap, even at discount.  But for now I'm resisting the Bits deal on myBase - but can I last out the next 20hrs plus...

J-Mac:
rjbull:  Yes, I know that Tranglos said that about RightNote/KeyNote, but you had posted something about "Keynote done right" so I thought I would show that link.   :)

I probably use Evernote more than any of the others I have installed, mainly due to the web-clipping ease and access from all locations (connected of course). But for just writing down a note Evernote isn't that great. They use a non-standard editor and it is missing a lot of features IF you happen to want to type a nicely formatted note for some reason. Of course if it is just a quick memory-jogger for yourself, who cares about formatting?!

After going through a lot of crap with Ultra Recall's web page grabber, and the same with Surfulater, I have gone back to Local Website Archive for most of my web page captures. I use the Scrapbook extension in Firefox also, but you need to have Firefox installed and open in order to see any of them! For partial snips I mostly use mouser's Screenshot Captor - it is still the best for that! And Evernote for smaller clips. (Evernote does not do well at all with full page grabs).

And for a good notes organizer? Still looking at anything and everything that gets my attention!

Thanks!

Jim

rjbull:
rjbull:  Yes, I know that Tranglos said that about RightNote/KeyNote, but you had posted something about "Keynote done right" so I thought I would show that link.   :)-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
And shamed my laziness  :-[

I probably use Evernote more than any of the others I have installed, mainly due to the web-clipping ease and access from all locations (connected of course).-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
For clips from the Web, so do I, though I use 2.2 rather than a cloud version.  A distaste for the cloud is partly why I'm interested in alternatives.

But for just writing down a note Evernote isn't that great. They use a non-standard editor and it is missing a lot of features IF you happen to want to type a nicely formatted note for some reason. Of course if it is just a quick memory-jogger for yourself, who cares about formatting?!-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use MemPad for quick notes.  I really like it, but it's very slow at searching even when the data is only 5 MB, and it doesn't group the hits like live search does, or AllMyNotes does.

After going through a lot of crap with Ultra Recall's web page grabber, and the same with Surfulater, I have gone back to Local Website Archive for most of my web page captures.-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use LWA when I want a really accurate rendition of a page.  Most of the time the less perfect, but adequate for reference, capture of EverNote is good enough.  AllMyNotes also looks similarly adequate, but isn't as streamlined as EverNote to use.

For partial snips I mostly use mouser's Screenshot Captor - it is still the best for that!-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
But then you have to name or annotate them in some way to be able to find them again later...

And for a good notes organizer? Still looking at anything and everything that gets my attention!-J-Mac (February 08, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Aren't we all?  Groan...  :(

rjbull:
Bits du Jour deal again today, Sun, 5 May 2013, with 11 hrs left to run at time of posting: myBase Desktop 6.x + Addons Pack $39.50 instead of $79.

flamerz:
seems like is comming back...

https://www.bitsdujour.com/software/mybase-desktop/in=upcoming-discounts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version