topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 6:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone else tried UltraEdit for Linux (UeX)?  (Read 2767 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone else tried UltraEdit for Linux (UeX)?
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Still seems to be a few features missing from the Linux version, though I'm impressed with the accommodation of various packages and desktop environments for keyboard shortcut options. And of all things, no word count! They pre-announced four upgrades to UeX for 2010. Ambitious to say the least, but perhaps that's a matter of getting closer to the Windows version.

I also like how they worded their Lifetime license: Upgrades for the Lifetime of the product. (Was that so hard?)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone else tried UltraEdit for Linux (UeX)?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I also like how they worded their Lifetime license: Upgrades for the Lifetime of the product. (Was that so hard?)
...as long as they don't suddenly introduce an UeX2 and brand that as a new product... :). And what's the distinction between upgrade and update?

A bit OT, but I'm a bit wary of "lifetime ugprades" - IMHO it's better to charge for major versions, discounted upgrade (from any previous version, and not time-limited), and developers honest enough only to introduce new major versions when substantial features are added.

Lifetime upgrades do seem to work for a few developers (like WinRAR), but there's always major outcry if income drops too low and lifetime upgrade policy has to be dropped... especially because it tends to be done in sneaky ways, like just renaming the product. I'm not a fan of annual subscriptions, since you never know how many updates you're going to get (but at least there's honorable developers like Aignes who keeps bugfix releases free, even if your update period has expired).
- carpe noctem

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone else tried UltraEdit for Linux (UeX)?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I see what you mean, f0dder. IDM upgrades -- not just updates -- UltraEdit far too often. Think they're up to version 16 and the last version I bought was 12. It will be interesting to see how serious they are about maintaining a Linux version over time. If the revenue is there, more power to them.