ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Macs Suck

<< < (8/11) > >>

jgpaiva:
IMO, standard's can be good. For instance, it would be good if windows and unix had the same filesystem organization, so as i could use linux as well as i use windows.
By now,  the linux supporters reading this, must have already came to the same conclusion i came by reading the post before this one:
standards CAN be good. But the problem is how to define the standards! In my example, i guess unix's filesystem is supposed to be far superior, and so, it should be the right choice.
But imagine the browsers situation. Many of you use firefox, i use opera, and my mother or my sister, use ie. But the question is that some days ago, i tried firefox, and hated it (as happens with all opera users, IMO), and firefox users can't use anything else, and my mother, doesn't even know that there are other browsers, and once i tried to persuade my sister to use opera, and she couldn't use it.
What i mean is that enforcing standards for everyone might not be the right way.
I think exactly the opposite that mouser thinks about standards in windows' explorer. I use another shell because i don't think explorer is flexible enough for me, and what happens is that i do everything about 2 to 3 times faster using bblean than i did when i used explorer for the sole reason that it works exactly as i configured it to work, and so, it's configured to work the way that is perfect for me, but might not be perfect for anyone else.
That is my perspective as user.
As a programmer, i can understand the absolute need for standards, the more people use the standards, the more people can use the product, is as simple as that.

Carol Haynes:
I think you misinterpret here what we mean by standards - we aren't talking about everyone using one browser more that whatever browser you use there should be certain standards which are adhered to eg. so that webpages appear the same whatever you use.

Good examples of standards in Windows are CTRL C means copy, CTRL X means cut and CTRL V means paste. These should always be options in the Edit menu of any application and the shortcut keys should always be the same so that no matter what software you use you don't have to learn new versions of these.

These are pretty much standard across 99% of apps but there are still apps out there that don't adhere to this standard.

Another interface design standard within windows is using common icons to do the same job, so the icons around a window should close, maximize, minimize etc. in identical ways and yet you still find loads of software that assume there are better ways to do these tasks and so provide their own methods - this is just confusing to users and completely unneccesary.

One of my pet hates is when designers remove these icons (and the ability to resize windows and remember their positions) - especially on webpages. The number of times people have problems with windows because they want to use a bigger font than standard and then can't see half of the contents, or webdesigners end up with webpages where the edges are clipped by a fixed window size drive me mad. These are totally unnecessary restrictions which break standard design criteria and are a big frustration to users.

jgpaiva:
@ edvard: Ooh, hey, take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic eheh.. even the bsod look better in mac ;)

@ Carol:
Yes, i was referring to more concrete examples of standardization, that ctrl+c example is simply great. Then, i change my opinion, i do agree with standards (i can't bare that emacs has such a strange way of doing copy-paste actions :P ). But still, i remain a bit reserved about applying it to everything, since in the other example you gave, i don't like having the close button at the right, since i right-click in the title bars of my apps to close them (another option inheriant to blackbox ;) ) and so, i don't even have the close button. But if we expand that standard to all apps needing to have a title bar, then i do agree with you, all of them should follow that rule :D

Carol Haynes:
since in the other example you gave, i don't like having the close button at the right, since i right-click in the title bars of my apps to close them (another option inheriant to blackbox ;) )
-jgpaiva (January 19, 2006, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually that is standard in Explorer too

jgpaiva:
Now I'm feeling ignorant...  :huh: :huh: That's one of the main reasons that make me use bb...
How can you activate it?
(I mean right-clicking the title bar makes the window close immediately, not choosing it from the unuseful context menu)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version