ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable prog

(1/4) > >>

kartal:
Hi

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

I need some serious insight into this problem since this thing started taking a toll on my system.  I am using Windows 7. Couple months ago I have started getting this message. This message shows up anytime I open a command shell(cmd.exe), or any program that relies on windows shell like Python, some installers etc etc. Sometimes because of this error some apps refuse to work or refuse to install as well. I have been searching for a solution for couple weeks and I cannot find any solution.

Does anyone have any insight about why this might be happening?

thanks

mouser:
Does anyone have any insight about why this might be happening?
--- End quote ---

sounds like it's viewing the space in the path of "C:\Program Files" as a separator.  An old program might do this, or maybe a registry setting that has no quotes around the path?

Target:
I suspect it has to do with the spaces in your path

try putting your path in inverted commas, eg "c:\program files\program\program.exe" or else try the dos notation (c:\program~\program\program.exe)

kartal:
mouser,

The thing is that I get this error now matter which program is using or accesing the shell. Lets say I am running a python script that outputs the shell. The first line of the execution is this message than Python prints out the result of the script.

So it is not an isolated application that is refusing to play nice with the windows shell. It looks like my environment variables are intact. I cannot find any trace of "program files" in the environment variables. Searching for c:\program brings hit loads of results in the regedit so that is not a feasible method.

When I hit win+r and type cmd.exe, this is the message I get. When i run cmd.exe from within the Windows directory, this is the message I get. So the cmd.exe has this message embedded somewhere, since many other apps use cmd.exe, they print out the very similar message.

cmpm:
This looks close to the problem. The first post starts at the bottom of the page and go up to see replies.

Hope it helps.

http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version