Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 22, 2014, 05:13:42 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Software for n-up photo printing?  (Read 3629 times)
rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »

I want to print some digital photos "n-up," but the sizes pre-set in Windows don't fit what I need.  Please can anyone recommend something that offers a greater range of options, and is, preferably, free?  The first one I found was ACD Systems' FotoSlate 4 Photo Print Studio, which isn't free, but at least it's cheap.

TIA...
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »

Picassa 3 has 5x8, 9x13, 10x15, 13x18, 20x25 cm and full-page options on its print layout menu, FWIW.

Chris
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »

I *think* Picasa offers the same options as Windows itself does, give or take inch to centimetre conversions.  I was hoping to be able to say, print 12 or 15 to a page, and have the program work out the best fit.  By contrast, here's part of the claims for Fotoslate (which I haven't tried yet):

Turn photos into contact sheets, wallet sized prints for sharing or 5 x 7 images in no time. You can also save printing time by customizing pages exactly to your specifications and then saving them to re-use again and again.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »

my cheap canon inkjet printer came with a delightful free program (Easy-photoprint) for printing photos in various n-up configurations on different sized paper, etc.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »

my cheap canon inkjet printer came with a delightful free program (Easy-photoprint) for printing photos in various n-up configurations on different sized paper, etc.

And I have a large package that should contain a cheap Canon multifunction that I haven't opened yet   embarassed  It's my week for embarrassment  Sad

I'd have liked something not tied to a particular printer manufacturer, if only to avoid license issues.  But I really should check whether that program is included  <sigh>

wallbash wallbash wallbash

I should add, I was intending to do the printing at the local college (it's for an evening class), but do it by printing to PDF at home and taking the PDFs to college on a USB stick.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:05:36 PM by rjbull » Logged
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »

not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but for something like a contact sheet most image viewers will probably fit the bill (I know Faststone and XNView do, so others no doubt do also).

Most times you set the number of rows and columns, and the app autofits the images accordingly and outputs the result as a new file...

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »

Most times you set the number of rows and columns, and the app autofits the images accordingly and outputs the result as a new file...

Go to the top of the class, that man!   Thmbsup  Look for a small DC credit...  You're right, it works in IrfanView.   For some reason, if there's more than one page,  IV won't output PDFs as one file, it prints each one separately, but for my current purposes that's OK.  IV can save multiple pages as JPGs without user intervention, though.

For anyone wanting to know how:  IV, press "T" for thumbnails.  Mark the images you want.  Alt-F, go down to "Create contact sheet from selected files."  Look for "Image parameters."  Pick the number of rows and columns etc. you want, press "Create," up comes the Print Preview, and off you go.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:02:36 PM by rjbull » Logged
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »

you could also merge the resultant PDF's into a single document - not using IV, but it's not a big issue..

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »

you could also merge the resultant PDF's into a single document - not using IV, but it's not a big issue..

Yes, I have tools for that.  And it turns out that if you only want jpegs, it does that automatically.
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »

rj, if you do get around to opening that Canon Printer box at some stage cheesy, it's definitely worthwhile installing:

it is limited to pre-set layouts, (1,2,4,9,20 etc.) but certainly very easy to use with a Canon printer and makes a very nice print (check settings of course, I go for highest quality & no optimisation, ymmv)

Tom
Chris
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:16:46 AM »

I would use IrfanView to print the photos as mentioned above as contact sheets. I would then use XnView to print the contact sheets as one PDF using PrimoPDF. It might be a little roundabout, but it is easy and is free

Chris
Adelaide
Australia
dhays
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »

If on Windows, one of the best non-free programs for n-up printing is Qimage: http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

It's shareware and a "Lite" license is $35.00
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »

If on Windows, one of the best non-free programs for n-up printing is Qimage: http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

It's shareware and a "Lite" license is $35.00

if you want to enlarge images it's probably better to get the $50 version
I personally find it objectionable in this day & age that you have to pay another $40 on top of that (=$90) for raw image support, in fact that's one of the reasons why I've never gone & bought it in spite of liking it a lot

compare edition here http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/editions.htm

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.1 ]