ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Requests / Suggestions thread

<< < (16/22) > >>

ertdfgc:
Hi! Just discovered CircleDock, and it seems addictive.  :Thmbsup:
I had a thought about the way I start something. Currently, it is:
  click (CD pops up), move to icon, click (starts action)
I think that
  MouseDown (CD pops up), drag to icon and MouseUp (starts action)
would be a much quicker and more natural way to use CD. It is also fewer movements. What are your thoughts on this?

sgtevmckay:
Greetings ertdfgc
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner  8)

Though this seems like a great idea at first...I start to find some issues...
Say you are in MS Word, and the you Left click down and drag...the problem becomes that all of a sudden you are highlighting text.
Similar issue with a desktop environment....anything you left click on you grab and move
So this could not be relegated to the left click button...Right click button is Context menu stuff

A bit of an impasse  :-[

ertdfgc:
I agree that this will not work if you do the gesture with the left or right buttons. An example for the right button is that my Opera browser has gestures on the right button that I would not want to loose.

What I meant was to do MouseDown, drag & MouseUp with the middle button (or whatever button I assign). I don't think that will create problems?

Markham:
It's an idea that doesn't fly for me, I'm afraid.

There's normally only a very few milliseconds between a MouseDown and a MouseUp so convention dictates that the MouseDown event is used to set (boolean) flags and actions occur in the MouseUp event handler. Triggering dock visibility is handled at the global (Windows OS) level, not at the application level.

Mark

ertdfgc:
Aww, shucks. I'm having lofty dreams about user interfaces, and you come dragging with those pesky technical details.  :)

You are probably right (and you certainly decide), but out of curiosity, what would happen if you violated that convention? Would Windows or other applications get confused, or is it the user you are concerned about?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version