ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Just discovered a HUGE annoyance in Windows 7

<< < (2/13) > >>

nite_monkey:
Don't you just love window's awesome dual monitor capabilities? (end sarcasm)
I ended up disabling the UAC all together on my desktop and laptop, because the popup gets annoying, and it freezes up windows media center for about a second after I hit the allow button. so while I am watching tv on my computer, I get interrupted. Haven't missed the UAC one bit since disabling it.

Eóin:
Haven't missed the UAC one bit since disabling it.
-nite_monkey (January 17, 2010, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you do miss it it'll be too late.

Carol Haynes:
Don't you just love window's awesome dual monitor capabilities? (end sarcasm)
I ended up disabling the UAC all together on my desktop and laptop, because the popup gets annoying, and it freezes up windows media center for about a second after I hit the allow button. so while I am watching tv on my computer, I get interrupted. Haven't missed the UAC one bit since disabling it.
-nite_monkey (January 17, 2010, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Surely the issue is a BIOS issue - how can windows enable dual monitor access before it even starts up?

tranglos:
swap cables?
-mouser (January 17, 2010, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
When dual monitor setups start getting cagey, that is (in my experience) the simplest option.
-Stoic Joker (January 17, 2010, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I did that, then the video card would be showing startup messages on the portrait screen, since the card threats its port as secondary. Tweaking BIOS setup would probably be fun on the rotated screen, but I think I'll pass :)

The only solution I can imagine would be to wipe 7 and reinstall it, disconnecting the secondary monitor during the installation.

Eóin:
Worse, apps are often unable to write to my own folders on the secondary, non-system hdd, where I keep all my data: access denied. These are folders where I do my work. -tranglos (January 17, 2010, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's just a permissions issue, make sure the Users group has write access through the Security tab in the harddisk properties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version