ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Just discovered a HUGE annoyance in Windows 7

<< < (11/13) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Haven't had a problem with 7 and Vista.
-Darwin (January 19, 2010, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

To clarify - I haven't had any issues running a mixture of XP, Vista and 7 on the same network and if anything I find Win 7 accesses network shares rather faster than my XP boxes. I have certainly had fewer headaches with a mixed network than I ever had with XP only and simple sharing.

If you want to share with everybody on a network you don't need to use password protected account access in Windows 7 (or Vista) instead of specifying individual users just specify "Everybody" as the user and then is gives open access to all computers on the LAN to that folder.

4wd:
Ditto for me, WRT folder sharing with XP. It was one checkbox but it only worked about 30% of the time, and this was when networking three XP machines. Drove me nuts. Haven't had a problem with 7 and Vista.
-Darwin (January 19, 2010, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess it's one of those YMMV things, I never had a problem with Simple File Sharing under XP either at home or on LAN night.

"Slow to access on non-Win7 machines" - in which way?-f0dder (January 19, 2010, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

The initial connection, here XP to W7 takes approx. 30-40 seconds to list available shares,  XP to XP takes around 5.

Connection from W7 to XP is fast, no problems there.

EDIT: I should add, logged in as same admin user on both machines.

Shades:
As discussed  in a previous DC thread, it might be a good idea to designate one PC in the LAN as the 'Master Browser' and disable this functionality on all other (Windows) PC's in the LAN.

In each Windows version (2000, XP, 2003) the default setting for 'Master Browser' is enabled. When combining such PC's in a LAN each one continuously tries to become the 'Master Browser' introducing long waiting times for initial connections. My network only has one Master Browser and I cannot tell the difference between a network drive/share/UNC and a local drive when accessing folders. Directories and files show up instantly.

Now I suspect that the networking client from Win7 is setup the same way with regards to the 'Master Browser' setting, I could be wrong as I don't have Win7 to test it myself.

4wd:
That would only apply to Domains though, wouldn't it?

Not Workgroups which is how my network is set up.

Just as a matter of interest, for the IsDomainMaster regkey:
2 XP machines = FALSE
W7 machine = key not present

MaintainServerList = AUTO on all machines

Carol Haynes:
No - MS seems to treat Workgroups as extremely simple domain type systems in practice (hence the reference to domain MSHOME in the last article which is actually the default workgroup name in XP).

Backup the settings and give that method a try and let us know if it makes any difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version