ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Just discovered a HUGE annoyance in Windows 7

(1/13) > >>

tranglos:
Since installing Win 7 on Friday I've found a number of serious aggravations. Applications are often unable to store (or restore) their settings in userdata folders - this includes FARR losing its launch history every few reboots, for example. Worse, apps are often unable to write to my own folders on the secondary, non-system hdd, where I keep all my data: access denied. These are folders where I do my work. Crazy stuff, and some of it potentially dangerous, as in data loss.

But the annoyance I have come across just now really makes me want to go back to XP while I still can (before Monday morning, that is!): when an elevated application window (one that required a UAC confirmation) has focus, some system-wide hotkeys no longer work. When working in Regedit, TuneUp Utilities or Shadow Protect, for example, pressing Pause does not bring up FARR. Pressing Win+Space reverts to its useless built-in function (temporarily unhide desktop) instead of what I have configured it to do in AutoHotkey. Switch to another window and it works again. And the UAC-crippled windows are somehow exempt from Actual Window Manager, so its features are not available there, either.  WTF?  Even completely disabling UAC does not help. Completely disabling UAC and rebooting seems to have fixed the problem. If I needed one more reason to kill UAC, this is certainly it.

I feel like I don't control the system at all, and never know when something I rely on will not work. Not a happy user here.

cmpm:
I had to disable UAC a couple of times for it to work.
Reset UAC to it's default, reboot, then disable and reboot.
Programs installed with UAC enabled will cause the problems I think.
Even after UAC is disabled, might require a reinstall as admin.

Or dropping the UAC default setting down one notch will stop the dimming of the screen, and not allowing any other things to be accessed.

I disabled UAC cause Synergy is killed when the UAC prompt is engaged, mainly....
+I really don't like UAC at all, except that it would show changes made to your computer in the details, if expanded. I suppose that's for compatibility and stability.

tranglos:
Some more...

I have two monitors. The graphics card considers one of them as primary - this is the one were boot-up messages are displayed, while the other monitor gets no signal until the system is up. My primary monitor is bigger, while the secondary is rotated to portrait orientation.

At some point during installation Windows 7 decided that the smaller, rotated monitor is really the primary one. The first install screens were shown on the correct screen, but half-way through, not even across a reboot, the installer switched to the second monitor. Since the monitor is rotated, and I can't easily restore it to landscape due to how my desk is configured :) , I had to go through the remainder of the installation, entering the product key, choosing language etc., with my head at a 90° angle... Okay.

Well, with the system fully installed, it still insists my secondary monitor is really primary (numbered 1), and my primary monitor gets number 2. There seems to be no way to change this. I can mark the monitor I want to be "main", and did so, but the wrong numbering remains. This gets annoying with applications coded to open on monitor 1 (which is secondary in my case) and it may be affecting the trouble many apps seem to have with restoring their position when restarted.

Sigh.

mouser:
swap cables?

Stoic Joker:
swap cables?
-mouser (January 17, 2010, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
When dual monitor setups start getting cagey, that is (in my experience) the simplest option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version