ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ready Boost?

(1/3) > >>

cmpm:
Does ReadyBoost actually help?

I've looked it up, and found stats saying it helps if your memory is at 1gb.
2gb and up they say it doesn't help much at all.

Anyway, I have a single core amd sempron1.8 laptop with 1gb of ram.
And a 4gb usb stick, which I dedicated to readyboost. Running Windows 7.

It seems to help with speed and less delays on opening programs.
The default sounds were even delayed a bit, which was kind of funny.
But better with readyboost.

This is not my primary computer so I'm not intending to buy more ram for it.
Just wondering what you think and your experience with readyboost performance.

Thanks.

Curt:
Edited: sorry I was confusing the names;
this post is about eboostr, the "ReadyBoost for XP", not the same thing.
---

I have a license for the "cheap" standard version but decided it was too simple - it didn't help me. I think one will need the more expensive pro version before ReadyBoost eboostr makes sense, if ever. (... deleted)

Darwin:
I ran it under XP Pro Sp-3 with 2GB of RAM. I bought an early license for the Pro version and received two years of upgrade protection. During the first 8 months, I rand v.1, v.2. and started beta testing v.3. With the right USB thumb drive (ie one rated for ReadyBoost), I saw a small benefit in terms of overall system stability. Once I moved to a main system running 4GB of RAM I stopped using it. It's definitely no substitute a RAM upgrade...

cmpm:
ReadyBoost is built into Windows 7. Inserting a usb stick will trigger the option to use the stick for Ready Boost if the stick can be used for it, which mine can. Perhaps there are some usb sticks specifically designed for Ready Boost, I don't know.

This SanDisk 4gb stick works with W7's built in Ready Boost option.
Is there another type of usb type booster for W7?
I don't know.

as a side note-
Intel Turbo Memory driver will not work with this laptop.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22intel+turbo+memory%22

Most report not much gain from it anyway.
I don't have the proper options in the bios for it to install.
It's an amd computer and not intel AHCI capable.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18011/eng/readme.txt

Anyway, at this point Ready Boost on this stick is helping.
It's set to write caching, for better performance.
I don't know of any other settings or tweaks to speed it up.

It's doing ok for an amd 1.8 with ati graphics though.
Just slower then my desktop, by a good margin.
The desktop specs are much higher though.

Darwin:
ReadyBoost is built into Windows 7. Inserting a usb stick will trigger the option to use the stick for Ready Boost if the stick can be used for it, which mine can.-cmpm (January 17, 2010, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, and in Vista as well. When I moved from 2GB to 4GB of RAM, I also upgraded (by virtue of buying a new notebook) to Vista 64 bit. At this point, I did try ReadyBoost, but couldn't see any benefit to it. I never did try eboostr under Vista/Windows 7 - hardly seemed worth it.

Perhaps there are some usb sticks specifically designed for Ready Boost, I don't know.
-cmpm (January 17, 2010, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if there are sticks specifically designed for ReadyBoost, but there are definitely sticks labelled "ReadyBoost Capable" or something along those lines. I have two such Sandisk drives. The rating has to do with the transfer speeds that the USB drive are capable of maintaining. I have a couple of older Kingston drives and ReadyBoost rejects them as being too slow. eBoostr will allow you to use these slower drives. It will also allow you to use whatever number of caches, of any size, that you like, whereas ReadyBoost limits you to a single cache, not to exceed 4GB. This is one (or is that 2?!) reason to use eBoostr under Vista/7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version