ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A programmer`s appeal for donation (not me :))

(1/2) > >>

kartal:
Hi

I just saw his blog entry yesterday. I do not know the guy and has no affiliation with him. I have used his image viewer some time ago and it was nice and snappy. It sounds like he needs some support from his users. I know the economy is really bad nowadays, and everyone is affected by it to certain degree including myself. So these times are not so great for donating but I thought I should make a post about it anyways. I have not donated myself yet but I wil do later today.

Here is the app
http://fximage.com/imager/

Here is his blog entry
http://fximage.com/2010/01/call-for-donations/

mouser:
it seems one of his big problems is hosting costs.
DC has always been willing to provide free hosting for freeware/donationware coders.  he can email me at ([email protected]) if he needs hosting.

SKesselman:
This is why I always worry that I'm not donating enough when I use freeware or donationware.
I feel guilty unless I'm pretty sure I'm donating a little more than expected. Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

cranioscopical:
Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?
-SKesselman (January 16, 2010, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I know what you mean. All one can do is to donate what feels fair.
If I use something then I donate. Later, if I find that product has saved my bacon in some way, I try to go back and donate an amount that represents the importance of that event to me. E.g., what's half a day of saved effort worth? It's not a bad idea to consider what a fully commercial version of the software might (have) cost.

Kamel:
I do love donating and helping in all that I can. Unfortunately, that's not always possible... I've had times go by when I've had to call out to others just to pay my rent and electricity (no lie, and not long ago)

The thing about donating that I love is that you can be sacrificial in some way. You may give $2 and it be a more heart felt gift than $100 from a large corporation etc.

Having a set, single price for software makes it more unattainable for poor people, and people who make much more are pretty much restricted to just the license price. If people gave in proportion to what they earned, it would be fair and right in the end IMHO.

This, of course, only applies to software that people actually use. If you do not use software, no point in making one give money to that unless they just want to.

At any rate, that's my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version