ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win 7 XP Mode is Hardware-Dependent

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
Carol Haynes: nope, haven't checked - dunno if Insyde offers generic BIOS downloads (I do know that if you are "important enough" and work on "certain projects" you can get custom BIOS from them... dunno if I have any strings I can pull though :P).

And I'm not sure if I dare mess around with non-kosher BIOS; AFAIK the laptop has no "dual bios" or "rescue mode" or whatever. Can't really afford to fry it, and the company I bought it from (Zepto) has gone belly-up, so I don't know if it's even possible to get a badly flashed BIOS fixed...

LordDaMan:
Just a little clarification:

Windows Virtual PC requires hardware vitalization. Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it works on I believe every version of windows 7. The XP image is the only part platform dependent. Since this is just VPC, it's easy enough to install XP and install the integration tools to get the same exact integration as XP mode has

Krishean:
xp mode does not work on every version of windows 7, its pro, ultimate, and enterprise only (source, also the microsoft download page will tell you that your edition is not supported if you select something like home premium)

i recently played around with the vm image itself, and it is possible to get it working under other vm software (VMware/VirtualBox for example) and other editions of windows (xp/vista/7) with some modifications. i didn't try to get it working with Virtual PC, but i assme there is a way to get it working on any computer that is capable of running Virtual PC.
VMware does not impose the hardware virtualization requirement, but it does suggest that having it will make things faster

go here and download the "Windows XP Mode" file, you can use 7-Zip to unarchive the files from the exe, finding the vm image inside is somewhat complicated

you can use VMware Converter to make the image compatible with the free VMware Player, or VMware Workstation (not free)

changing the vm's license to be compatible with your computer is somewhat of a gray area and i won't post how to do that here

LordDaMan:
xp mode does not work on every version of windows 7, its pro, ultimate, and enterprise only (source, also the microsoft download page will tell you that your edition is not supported if you select something like home premium)-Krishean (January 23, 2010, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it doesn't. XP mode, as defined by Microsoft, is windows virtual pc + XP mode disk image. Windows Virtual PC on the other hands works with no problem

In fact, here is the knowledge base article about windows virtual PC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958559

Supported host operating systems

* Windows 7 Home Basic
    * Windows 7 Home Premium
    * Windows 7 Enterprise
    * Windows 7 Professional
    * Windows 7 Ultimate

Supported guest operating systems

* Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Professional
    * Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions
    * Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions
    * Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions *
    * Windows 7 Professional *
    * Windows 7 Enterprise.
    * Windows 7 Ultimate
--- End quote ---

Here's a direct link to windows vpc turned up by a search for KB 958559 on Microsoft's site
http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/5/0554AE99-785F-45CB-B1F2-0E3ED1E6117D/Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu

Carol Haynes:
Does the XP Mode image work in normal Virtual PC?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version