topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: memory use and reason  (Read 5853 times)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
memory use and reason
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:49 AM »
069.png

Skype taking 160 MB of memory?

What the f is NSA running on my computer?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: memory use and reason
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28 AM »
That's probably just bloat. I could be wrong, but it's pretty normal for a lot of software to chew up massive bits of memory. (BTW - I'm the resident paranoid conspiracy theorist.) If they are running malware, it's unlikely that you'd ever be able to detect it without some serious network traffic analysis and several lost months of your life.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Skype can certainly consume that, I have seen it happen. As to why, bloat and probably nothing else.
NSA stuff likely won't show up as a known exe, or even as a component of a known exe. Highly doubt that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Considering Firefox starts with around that and easily climbs to 3X or more the longer it runs, I wouldn't be too surprised or concerned if you're not concerned about using Skype to begin with.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Considering Firefox starts with around that and easily climbs to 3X or more the longer it runs, I wouldn't be too surprised or concerned if you're not concerned about using Skype to begin with.

Firefox shows things. A small bitmap image of size, say, 400x300 alone would take 480 KB of ram, just to show it. And I don't even mention javascript and other memory hogs.

But skype?
How hard could it be just to provide a chat facility? (at the moment I saw the 160MB memory consumption, there was no audio/video business, just plain old keyboard chat with two friends.)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I'm at about 70mbs for skype. Maybe try downloading a fresh one and reinstalling.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:48 PM »
I'm not sure about the Windows version, but the Mac version does this constantly. I have to routinely kill it, to keep it from taking over the computer (which isn't hard, given that it's a Mac, i.e. a severely underpowered PC :P ).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57 PM »

But skype?
How hard could it be just to provide a chat facility? (at the moment I saw the 160MB memory consumption, there was no audio/video business, just plain old keyboard chat with two friends.)

Not being a serious coder, I'm the wrong person to ask. But there are enough of them around here that maybe somebody might actually know.  

One thing I've learned from what coding I have done however, has taught me that many times  the answer to questions such as "How hard can it be?" is: "Surprisingly difficult."
 :)