ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Trend Micro Security - oddly like malware...

<< < (4/5) > >>

Innuendo:
Actually, you're both right when it comes to whether or not Dell computers were shipped with an OEM recovery disc. There was a time span of a year or so a few years ago that Dell did not ship an OEM OS disc with their PCs. You could buy one as an up-charge when you ordered the machine, though.

Fortunately, they did away with that nonsense and have gone back to shipping an OEM OS disc with every machine they sell. Dell also does everyone a favor in that the OEM OS is just the bare OS. All the trialware, additional drivers, etc. are shipped on a second disc that doesn't have to be used.

Stoic Joker:
Actually, you're both right when it comes to whether or not Dell computers were shipped with an OEM recovery disc. There was a time span of a year or so a few years ago that Dell did not ship an OEM OS disc with their PCs. You could buy one as an up-charge when you ordered the machine, though.-Innuendo (February 14, 2010, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

(hehe) Yeah all the manufacturers tried the recovery partition about the same time - The same time they were all putting only 256MB RAM in XP machines which resulted in XP eating a hole in the drive where the PageFile wasn't anymore (rendering the recovery partition useless). I do recall seeing (dell's) $10 for OS CD option back when, now that you mention it. I hadn't meant to make it sound like Dell was totally Innocent. I just meant that HP (/Compaq) was the worst for that type of (garbage "recovery" disks) nonsense.

Fortunately, they did away with that nonsense and have gone back to shipping an OEM OS disk with every machine they sell. Dell also does everyone a favor in that the OEM OS is just the bare OS. All the trialware, additional drivers, etc. are shipped on a second disc that doesn't have to be used.
--- End quote ---
I did a reinstall today for one of the staff, on a ~5 year old Dimension 4550 using an XP sp3 home Dell OEM CD. Install and activation went fine & the OS was as vanilla as it could be.

Innuendo:
I just meant that HP (/Compaq) was the worst for that type of (garbage "recovery" disks) nonsense.-Stoic Joker (February 15, 2010, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, when it comes to evil trends in the ways computer equipment is sold, HP/Compaq are *always* the worst perpetrator of any given 'nonsense'.

dhuser:
For HP's preinstalled crapware, with my HP Pavilion Elite desktop that I ordered in December, I was given a choice at setup of weather or not to activate Norton Internet Security. If you choose no, it warns you and you can just it uninstall it without issue. I am actually surprised that was not a lot of preinstalled software on my new computer, and that they can be uninstalled without a problem.

Innuendo:
One great option in dealing with the crap is the excellent program Decrapifier. It targets all of that crapware that come preinstalled on computers & eliminates it in one fell swoop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version