ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Trend Micro Security - oddly like malware...

(1/5) > >>

tomos:
I want to uninstall Trend Micro trial (it's installed on a new laptop)

Guess what - it may be possible, in fact I've seen loads of sites that tell me how to do it but none of them work for the version installed here (which version is it - I dont know, it wont tell me! 2010 presumably. It only allows me to open the programme window if I click on a pane which signifies that I agree to their eula). One helpful forum suggested going to Trend Micro site & downloading a removal tool. (Starting to sound like malware to me) So I searched three Trend Micro websites & found nothing - loads about uninstalling malware...

I understand a security suite doesnt want to be easily installed - but this smacks totally of take advantage of anyone unlucky enough to trial their software or buy a machine with it pre-installed

I suspect I have to register it before I can uninstall it - (that talked about with some other anti-virus lately here).
But my point is, well youv'e probably gotten my point by now  :-\

I dont wish them well if they continue tactics like this

[edit] found the relevant info here http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/How-to-uninstall-Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-2010.aspx I'll charge them for the last two hours of my life faffing around with their pile of :D [/edit]

Bamse:
http://esupport.trendmicro.com.au/1/How-do-I-remove-old-or-new-versions-of-Trend-Micro-products-in-my-comp.aspx#RelatedInfo At the bottom there is 2010 info. "Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit" might be the key to fix.

Not sure it is an excuse but if a sucurity package was so easy to move about it would also be easy to trick by malware. Anyway, got the link from here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/2009/10/1-having-trouble-uninstalling-your-anti.html 

There is a programm called AppRemover dealing with getting rid of security stuff http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications not compatible with your setup I think but shows your problem is common.

Last way out if something is broken could be a reinstall, then try again.

app103:
There was an issue with this with AVG at one time (not sure if it is still the case) where you could attempt to remove it through add/remove programs, which would always fail with an error message that told you to contact support and gave an email address. But when you contacted them you had to include your account number, which you would only have if you paid for it. If you didn't pay for it (using the free version) they wouldn't help you and left you on your own to find a solution.

I did eventually find the solution: Download the latest installer for their product if you no longer had the original installer, and during setup it would detect the installed version and give you a few options: install, repair, remove (perhaps upgrade). As long as you did it that way, it removed itself quite easily.

tomos:
thanks Bamse, well there's lots of advice out there but as I said most of it was outdated - dont even remember how I found it in the end- I found a Trend Micro link for removing older versions & that got me on the right track.

True what you say about not making it easy to take advantage of the app, but I still suspect they think this is a cunning ploy
I should have taken a screenshot of the message window that said if you clicked on it you were accepting their eula - I carefully clicked on 'register later' (I'm translating here so not 100% sure of words used in English) anyways, programme wouldnt open it's main window if you clicked 'register later'
 :down: :down:

That's a crazy story App :tellme: the carrot is much better than the stick :) they should know that by now the fools

J-Mac:
This is one of those few times when a registry cleaner is valuable and recommended! I used to go crazy trying to remove all pieces of programs I no longer wanted but that refused to fully relinquish my computer back to me. Now when this occurs I pull out my jv16 Powertools weapons and search the registry for any leftover keys related to that program. This has worked for me every time.

However let me mention here that I do NOT recommend regularly scheduled registry cleanings just for the heck of it. Only for specifically directed search and remove ops like above.   :)

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version