Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 25, 2014, 03:24:14 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: is the chatroom borked?  (Read 9023 times)
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »

could be just me (surely not...), or maybe there's a larger problem...

for the last 3 days I haven't been able to access the chatroom, well, I can access the page, but it just cycles through the servers repeatedly without actually loading/connecting

this is consistent across IE and FF...

anyone else having this issue?

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »

Yeah it's playing up for me too. I'd recommend using an irc client. Poke around here for one that suits you, typical favorites on Windows are mIRC and X-Chat, Linux would be X-Chat or irssi.

Ehtyar.
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »

Yeah it's playing up for me too. I'd recommend using an irc client. Poke around here for one that suits you, typical favorites on Windows are mIRC and X-Chat, Linux would be X-Chat or irssi.

cool, thanks!!

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »

If you don't want to install a client, just select the browser you're using here:

Mozilla Based Browsers

Opera

Konqueror / IE for Mac

Internet Explorer

Have fun!

PS: mouser, why don't you use efnet's interface like this: http://polar.pastebin.com/f34ae42df
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:12:52 AM by scancode » Logged

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »

If you don't want to install a client, just select the browser you're using here:

Have fun!

nice try, but I get a 'too many connections' response from both the IE and FF links...

and FWIW, I'd ideally prefer not to install a client here...

scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »

Have fun!

nice try, but I get a 'too many connections' response from both the IE and FF links...

and FWIW, I'd ideally prefer not to install a client here...

It works for me...

Do you happen to be in Australia?
If so:

[copy or print]
[03:16] * n00b998 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) has joined #donationcoder
[03:16] * n00b998 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) Quit (Client Quit)
[03:17] * n00b918 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) has joined #donationcoder
[03:17] * n00b918 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) Quit (Client Quit)
[03:18] * n00b010 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) has joined #donationcoder
[03:18] * n00b010 (cb238785@bcavo.tcif.telstra.com.au) Quit (Client Quit)

Try clicking on the link only ONCE and waiting for it to load (I don't think you can have multiple tabs of it open either)

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »

It works for me...

Do you happen to be in Australia?
If so:

<snipped>

Try clicking on the link only ONCE and waiting for it to load (I don't think you can have multiple tabs of it open either)

hmmm, works as advertised (now!!) - how bizarre...

those multiple appearances would have been me trying in different browsers, not from multiple clicks (luckily I'm pretty familiar with mouse clicking Grin)   

so how can I change my nick?

skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »

/nick Target

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »

/nick Target

thanks!!

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »

ok, now I'm looking for some suggestions for an IM client...

scancodes links work, but they're blech to look at...

I'm a total noob at IM (I just don't use it) so rather than try 50 different apps to try and find something I'll barely use I'd rather be guided by you good folk

so far I've tried (portable) Miranda (works fine, but drops the connection after 30 minutes), and (portable) Pidgin (can't get it to connect)

I'd prefer a portable or no install app, but that's an arbitrary limitation (I'll be grateful for any and all suggestions...)

skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

FWIW, I've used Miranda for nearly ten years now (ever since it was just an ICQ clone).

skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »

BTW, you're free to use any IRC client you want to...it doesn't need to be one bundled in with an IM client.  I suppose what I'm trying to say is that IRC is different than IM.  However, some IM clients such as Miranda and Pidgin do have IRC plugins (which blurs the lines a little between IRC and IM).  Does that make sense?

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 11:51:27 PM »

BTW, you're free to use any IRC client you want to...it doesn't need to be one bundled in with an IM client.  I suppose what I'm trying to say is that IRC is different than IM.  However, some IM clients such as Miranda and Pidgin do have IRC plugins (which blurs the lines a little between IRC and IM).  Does that make sense?

makes sense, but doesn't help much  embarassed

i'm googling IRC clients now...

lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:07:38 AM »

i'm googling IRC clients now...

this DoCo thread might help..

Best FREE IRC client?

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 12:34:08 AM »

this DoCo thread might help..

Best FREE IRC client?

thanks for that, seems it mostly talks about mIRC and Miranda

another wrinkle, the client MUST be able to deal with a proxy (seems quite a number don't cater for this...)

JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »

Or the web chat room could be, you know, fixed... cheesy

I use HydraIRC when I can't use the web client, but it has an awkward preferences dialog and I don't think it has proxy support. Still it's entirely free, unlike nagware mIRC...

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

thanks for that, seems it mostly talks about mIRC and Miranda

another wrinkle, the client MUST be able to deal with a proxy (seems quite a number don't cater for this...)

most of the modern IRC clients should be able to deal with proxies easily. here is a link to mIRC's proxy guide. fwiw, i mainly use mIRC on my desktop PC and Miranda IM on my netbook.

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »

I use HydraIRC when I can't use the web client, but it has an awkward preferences dialog and I don't think it has proxy support. Still it's entirely free, unlike nagware mIRC...

Thanks for the recommendation, and you're correct, no proxy support...

most of the modern IRC clients should be able to deal with proxies easily. here is a link to mIRC's proxy guide. fwiw, i mainly use mIRC on my desktop PC and Miranda IM on my netbook.

I'll have a further look at this, but I guess I was looking for a freeware app since I'm unlikely to use it much...

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »

I'll have a further look at this, but I guess I was looking for a freeware app since I'm unlikely to use it much...

the XChat program mentioned by Ehtyar above, does proxy setup and it's freeware. i've never tried it before but seems to be quite popular.

Proxy settings

http://xchat.org/

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »

Is Donationcoder on Freenode?

Or what is the long address here???

Skip it...I found Ya'll  Thmbsup

irc.efnet.org

#donationcoder
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:05:41 AM by sgtevmckay » Logged
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »

It's on EFNet.

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

Thanks  cheesy
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »

Try the chatroom now -- sorry i didn't realize there was an ongoing problem.
Problem was caused by a recent addition of code to bust out of iFrames.
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »

Yeah it's playing up for me too. I'd recommend using an irc client. typical favorites on Windows are mIRC and X-Chat, Linux would be X-Chat or irssi.
the XChat program mentioned by Ehtyar above, does proxy setup and it's freeware. i've never tried it before but seems to be quite popular.

X-Chat did the trick - thanks to you both!!

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »

Try the chatroom now -- sorry i didn't realize there was an ongoing problem.
Problem was caused by a recent addition of code to bust out of iFrames.

I am sorry about that but mouser said there wasn't any iframes on the site. He forgot about that one.

The code to bust out of frames/iframes became necessary when I discovered that links to pages on dc that appear in the friendfeed facebook app, were loading dc's pages within the facebook interface in such a way that it was plastered with facebook ads and you couldn't even tell it was dc.

(the ads appear in the right column that isn't showing in this screenshot)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.06 ]