topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is it possible to capture a RDP (remote desktop) session?  (Read 16314 times)

davidvan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to capture a RDP (remote desktop) session?
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Hi,

Here is the scenario: Let's say I have 2 computers and I use RDP from PC1 to remotely access PC2. I have SC running on PC1 and my RDP session is "full screen".  I would like to capture the RDP screen (full screen) but all hot keys presses (prtscn, cntrl-alt prtscn, etc.) I tried were not "seen" by PC1 so SC is not triggered to take a screen shot.

Is this possible to do what i need to do?  I have the same problem when using KVM-over-IP to remotely access a computer.  Both situations failed because all key presses are being sent to the remote computer. I wish I know what special key sequent that is always "seen" by the local PC, such as the Cntl-Alt-Del, while inside a RDP or KVM-over-IP window.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is it possible to capture a RDP (remote desktop) session?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Nothing is impossible :D! I don´t use RDP so I can´t give specific tips, but if you use something like Citrix It´s possible that logging functions are existing.
The only problem is: Recording of remote desktops of other people isn´t allowed without their personal agreement. Running Sniffers and Keyloggers in the background to catch passwords can only be done by government or legitimated controllers from your boss to check for unallowed usage of their systems. This can be a reason to be fired.
Even if you use encryption I want to mention that the used algorithms (RC4 56-max. 128 Bits) of RDP are very poor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:29 AM by Crush »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Even if you use encryption I want to mention that the used algorithms (RC4 56-max. 128 Bits) of RDP are very poor.
How old is your information? RDP encryption is adjustable, and can be set to use FIPS (natively) which is AES (the standard that replaced DES3) based.

@davidvan - Not sure if you know this but Ctrl+Alt+Break will toggle full screen so you can grab a SS off PC2 with PC1 if the target is positioned correctly. Either that or use the good old Print Screen & Alt+Print Screen (full screen on PC2) and paste the clip board content to something on PC1 (I've done that a few times in a pinch).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:09 AM »
but all hot keys presses (prtscn, cntrl-alt prtscn, etc.) I tried were not "seen" by PC1 so SC is not triggered to take a screen shot.

you know this raises a really interesting question.  is there any way in RDP or the virtual machines, to define some hotkeys that should break out of default behavior?  ie not be sent to the remote machine, or vice versa?

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Stoic Joker: I´ve read about this in Wikipedia. Perhaps your informations are newer.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46 PM »
but all hot keys presses (prtscn, cntrl-alt prtscn, etc.) I tried were not "seen" by PC1 so SC is not triggered to take a screen shot.

you know this raises a really interesting question.  is there any way in RDP or the virtual machines, to define some hotkeys that should break out of default behavior?  ie not be sent to the remote machine, or vice versa?

Hm... the RDP default is to only Apply (send to) Windows key combinations to remote machine if using full screen...So if you're not working full screen, everything is local. I've got a session going to my server now (Windowed not full) and even if it has focus, hitting the Win key opens the Start Panel on LM.

I've never used SC, so I'm not sure how it works. But if it's taking the SS itself (as apposed to nipping it off the clip board) I doubt it will be able to get window size/position from the remote machine as the displayed desktop is really just a bitmap picture that's being updated. ...There is however an option to cache the bitmapped desktop (performance reasons I forget) to LM. So if that cache could be found, perhaps it could be used.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I think the ability to capture depends more on the RDP software than the capturing app, at least partly speaking. For example I can easily capture a session of UltraVNC using XnView with default settings. Windows RDP may be different.

- Oshyan