topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 2.78. Error On W7  (Read 6887 times)

egarlepp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2.78. Error On W7
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I get an error when trying to launch the application aftre install on W7.  I have tried running in compatibility mode for the running and install to no avail.  The error i get is Capture.JPG

Please help...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 2.78. Error On W7
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58 AM »
you shouldn't have to use any compatibility mode, it's run fine on all Win7 installs I've heard of.

Some thoughts:
1. might it be some security software you have on your pc blocking it?
2. did you run full installer to install it?  if so then it can't be that the executable got corrupted.
3. you could try renaming the installer .exe to .zip and unpacking it manually somewhere and running it from there.

egarlepp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42 PM »
i am running symantec. i disabled it and still same thing.
I also downloaded it again, and added .zip to end and unzipped it and then tried to run it same thing.

Oddly it works on another W7 system i have, but not this one.  It is W7 running in bootcamp on a macbook pro...

Any other ideas???

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31 AM »
Exception code 0xc0000005 means "access violation": that code tried to write to memory that it doesn't have access to. This can happen for a whole lot of reasons, and it can be terribly hard to track down the problem.

That you get the error in a "The application failed to start correctly" MessageBox indicates that the exception happens before the application starts. This could happen for a number of reasons... one would be failing initialization code in one of the DLLs used by the executable, another could be malware or anti-malware (or stuff that uses system hooks or...) programs playing around. Iirc it's also the generic error message you get when trying to run dotNET programs without the framework installed (really should've been a more informative message!), but SSC isn't dotNET.

Because there's so many possible causes, it'll be hard getting anything useful from google searches. FWIW, I used to run 2.56.01 and just upgraded to 2.78.01, and both work on my 64bit Win7 installation.

Are you running any other anti-whatever software besides Symantec? Or an application like AdMuncher? Any "windows enhancers" (virtual desktops, or programs that adds stuff like sticky-windows, minimize-to-tray, window-rollup, ... to all windows)? Anything that sets keyboard/mouse hooks or otherwise injects DLLs into other processes could be potential problems.

You could try monitoring program startup with SysInternals' Process Monitor, but it's pretty GeekBoyPowerHeadTM and extremely verbose - akin to looking for a needle in a haystack.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:36 AM »
This is what jumps out at me:
"It is W7 running in bootcamp on a macbook pro"

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46 AM »
This is what jumps out at me:
"It is W7 running in bootcamp on a macbook pro"
It does jump out, but I don't necessarily think this is the problem - after all, bootcamp means running Windows natively, not in a VM.

egarlepp: could you try running eventvwr.msc, and check Windows Logs->Application? There might be some additional information available there. Stuff like not having the Visual C++ runtimes installed can also cause this error - don't think it's the case here, though, since mouser uses Borland C++ Builder for his apps.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:52 AM »
something that might help would be to see if all of my programs crash on start on that machine, or if it's just Screenshot Captor.

Incredible123

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:12 PM »
I too am encountering this issue on Windows 7 and have identified the cause as Symantec Endpoint Protection's Network Threat Protection and Proactive Threat Protection. Uninstalling these corrects the issue. Unfortunatly since I am running under a corporate network and policy based security and despite being a member of IT the Exceptions have been locked down to a select group at the Enteprise level so basically I'm screwed unless Mouser you can find a fix on your side. Its too bad too as I really like Screenshot Captor , I have been an avid user and Donner for a couple years now but now I'm forced to use Windows 7's built in Snipping Tool which just isnt the same........................

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Hmm.. that's a big clue -- anyone know a little more about what particularly Symantec might not be liking about Screenshot Captor?
Incredible, does it happen when you launch SC, or when you try to install it, or when?

xpkranger

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Same issue here w/ Symantec (SEP).  Working with Security Team to resolve.  Will post resolution.

"Application popup: ScreenshotCaptor.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application. "