topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problems with shortcuts to system files  (Read 9473 times)

Stefan 93

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problems with shortcuts to system files
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Hi, great program! I would really like to change ObjectDock with something and this program has potential :) but there are some problems...
When I create shortcut to Recycle Bin I can choose only one picture (same for full and empty) and I can't empty trash within menu that appears on right click.
When I want to create shortcut for My Computer I must put path to explorer (I know about drop-box but it's not finished). That isn't big problem, but when I start that I see Libraries (I have Windows 7) instead of drives and I never use them.
P.S. Can we download somewhere Backgrounds and Center Images? I made something with snowflakes but it takes time :(

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problems with shortcuts to system files
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Greetings Stefan 93  :D
Welcome to Circle Dock and DonationCoder forums

We are aware of the current limitations of the Recycle Bin.
For this and other option, Markham is looking into programing the ability to add docklets.
There are numerous docklets that handle the Recycle Bin, and other system utilities/folders, that are easier to work with than programing in the proper handlers.
But ultimately Markham will have the final word on this as an option.
So for the moment we are left with a simple folder link.

To get the Computer files to show instead of the Library, you will need to add an argument in the Item Settings:

Name the new folder to any name you wish:

As in the image make sure the Target is listed:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Now for the important part....The argument:
/E,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

This argument will target the appropriate windows virtual folder that list the drives instead of teh Libraries which are now default in Windows 7.
By all means copy and paste the info to make it easy  8)

Click the finish button.

Then click the new icon/button, and the desired result should be obtained:

If for some reason this fails...let me know and I can do a tut for creating a shortcut to teh desktop and then adding it to Circle Dock  ;)

As for Dock skins...That is a bit more difficult as Circle Dock is slowly coming into it's own and there are few circle Skins...Most that are available come with Circle Dock.
Fret not though as I am always looking for new Back Grounds,.
I will start making a few that will blend better with Vista and 7....If I can get my head around Cs4  :-[

Center images are easy, if you are not looking for a back ground center...The typical center image is just another Icon...In PNG preferable

Let me know if I have help or completely missed the point???

Have fun  :Thmbsup:

Stefan 93

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Do you know when will you do something with Recycle Bin? Are updates for CD frequent or they go out in a few months?
Thanks for My Computer!
As for Dock skins...That is a bit more difficult as Circle Dock is slowly coming into it's own and there are few circle Skins...Most that are available come with Circle Dock.
I will start making a few that will blend better with Vista and 7....If I can get my head around Cs4  :-[
You don't need CS4, you can do this with GIMP. Read this tutorial.
I made from that default black circle and one picture with snowflakes this. I don't know almost anything about making pictures (you can see that from my creation :)) but it was quick and easy. And this looks much better on wallpapers for Christmas and with snow...
Center images are easy, if you are not looking for a back ground center...The typical center image is just another Icon...In PNG preferable
Where you find those Center images? You have really nice ones. Especially that Windows logo...

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I love and utilize Gimp..In fact the center Image is a modification of someone else's work...But it has been so long I could not tell you who did it...

You are welcome to it and you can download it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016357/Images/Windows-5.png

As for the list of Icons I have..It is a collection of well over 2.5 gigs worth and collected over the last several years.

Most of the icons come from RocketDock Page...which can be found through the Circle Dock Help File...look in addons
Or here:
http://rocketdock.com/addons/all/popular

I also look into Deviantart, I also do a general Google search for Vector Icons, and use CoolIris in FireFox to cut through hours of searching  ;)

Updates:
Before I go into a long explanation...I will say that Markham is a new programmer of Circle Dock, and no time scale has been determined at this time...Understand that up until October Circle Dock was a dead project in Alpha testing, and went Full release in less than 30 days.
So when will this capability to available...I can not say...a lot of re-tooling of core software and home work will need to be done to add the docklets capability...and as no one has come forward to assist in this integration...Matkham has to start from scratch.

So I can not give you a time frame to having the necessary integration for the Recycle Bin and others

I am glad that the fix for teh Computer folder work...and I also hope you are having fun...
Watch us close as apparently Markham (Our beloved Circle Dock wizard  :-* ) seems to have some big plans
We shall all see in time  :up: :up: :up: :up: :Thmbsup:

Stefan 93

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Thanks...
So I can not give you a time frame to having the necessary integration for the Recycle Bin and others
Those necessary integrations that lack are the most annoying. If he did this in 30 days than for a few months these will be maybe even better than ObjectDock. I think that only big advantage of OD are those hundreds of skins and that will come soon for CD.
See you in a few months :)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:11 AM »
Watch us close as apparently Markham ... seems to have some big plans
I do?  :tellme:  :D

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:30 AM »
Don't Make liar of me now  :P

I am on a roll  :Thmbsup:

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:06 AM »
I'd better ask my wife, then, she generally knows these things long before me!

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Indeed

No backing from teh old lady...and I'd be in trouble as well  :Thmbsup: